exam stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozza

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi, as i have been newly diagnosed i am not sure as to what sends my levels high and what doesnt. i have an a level exam tomorrow and am extremely stressed by it. i cannot remember anything that i have been taught in the past month and was wondering if anyone knows if my levels will go up of down and any ways of calming down

thanx

lauren x

hi, as i have been newly diagnosed i am not sure as to what sends my levels high and what doesnt. i have an a level exam tomorrow and am extremely stressed by it. i cannot remember anything that i have been taught in the past month and was wondering if anyone knows if my levels will go up of down and any ways of calming down

thanx

lauren x

Hi babe... sorry i cant advise anything as stress does not effect my levels.
Good luck anyway though.. try not to worry too much :D

* Write in your diary (if you have one)
* Talk with a close friend
* Take a bubble bath
* Get a massage
* Read a good book

* Manage Your Stress Head On

Regular practice of the following disciplines will immediately help you reduce your stress level, and, over time, bring your glucose levels down as well:

* Diaphragmatic breathing. In a sitting or lying position, breathe in through your nose, pulling the air deeply into your lungs until you feel your lower abdomen begin to extend. Take in as much air as you can. Hold it for a count of five and then slowly exhale through your mouth. Do this several times.
* Progressive relaxation. In a lying position, tense one muscle group (calves, for example) for a slow count of 10 while keeping the rest of your body relaxed. Stop tensing that muscle and relax for a few seconds. Then move to the next muscle group (thighs) and repeat. Progressively work your way through the entire body. This exercise is great to help bleed out the tension in muscles before sleeping.

hope some of this helps

Last edited:

thanx

lauren x

I think that's probably quite a common feeling anyone gets before an exam, diabetic or not! A lot of people do find that their levels will increase with stress, but similarly some people will find it has the opposite effect. In terms of having an exam tomorrow my advice would always be take it easy the night before, maybe to some easy reading but cramming the night before rarely works, have a relaxing bath maybe and get a good night's sleep. Do your school.college know about your diagnosis, definatly worth making them aware if not.

yes they do but i dnt kno whether they have managed to tell the exam board yet. iv been tryin to revise for the past week but its just not stayin in, everything keeps goin back to diabetes. x

Hi Lauren, just try and do your best, and try and get some sleep tonight. You may find that, once the questions are there in front of you things will come back to you - it's too late just now to learn anything new, so try and take it as it comes. Stress makes my levels go higher, but you may be different. Be sure that there is a proper arrangement for you to speak to an invigilator during the exam if you feel at all poorly - this is not your fault and they should do everything they can to help you through it. Remeber to take your meter and some hypo treatment in case you need it. Remeber also, that if you go low, they should not expect you to continue for at least 15 minutes until you have recovered sufficiently.

I do hope that things go well, and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back