Everything is going wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Had a lovely coastal walk today, not too hot not too cold. Got back to the car and checked my BGs. Message: your sensor has stopped working, remove sensor and apply new one.
I had used it a few times on my walk without a problem. Only been on 48 hours, stuck like a limpet. Tried a few times on the half hour drive home, same message. I’ve never had this happen before. Tested on my meter when I got home, couldn’t get blood out, got four errors. Eventually managed a reading. All ok. Emailed Abbott, got a reply wanting to know the far end of the far end. Sent off reply. Tried to remove faulty sensor, it just won’t budge, I have trouble getting them off after 14 days, never mind two. Resorted to putting on new sensor on my other arm, I’m not happy but needs must. I’m still not having any luck getting my other sensor off, the big guns will need to be brought out soon. Baby oil!
Any advise? Why does this happen? Has anyone ever found out? I asked the question on my original email but they just sent me the generic question list. Oh and the batteries in my meter are on their way out. Hence errors.

I’ve had a good day otherwise! 🙂

Sorry @eggyg, no advice I'm afraid as I know nothing about sensors. Just wanted to send {{{hugs}}} and hope that the baby oil does the trick! 🙂

Had a lovely coastal walk today, not too hot not too cold. Got back to the car and checked my BGs. Message: your sensor has stopped working, remove sensor and apply new one.
I had used it a few times on my walk without a problem. Only been on 48 hours, stuck like a limpet. Tried a few times on the half hour drive home, same message. I’ve never had this happen before. Tested on my meter when I got home, couldn’t get blood out, got four errors. Eventually managed a reading. All ok. Emailed Abbott, got a reply wanting to know the far end of the far end. Sent off reply. Tried to remove faulty sensor, it just won’t budge, I have trouble getting them off after 14 days, never mind two. Resorted to putting on new sensor on my other arm, I’m not happy but needs must. I’m still not having any luck getting my other sensor off, the big guns will need to be brought out soon. Baby oil!
Any advise? Why does this happen? Has anyone ever found out? I asked the question on my original email but they just sent me the generic question list. Oh and the batteries in my meter are on their way out. Hence errors.

I’ve had a good day otherwise! 🙂
Just find a doorway, they come off really easily if you walk through one that has a special Libre Magnet in it.
(failing that, I agree with Vonny, baby oil's your best bet)

Were you a bit dehydrated by any chance. That can mess with sensors.

Ask your DSN to prescribe Appeel adhesive remover. You spray it on and it dissolves the adhesive. Total game changer.

Sorry to hear you have had a sensor misbehave. You could always leave it on for 14 days or until it drops off if the baby oil doesn't work. No idea why a sensor would fail so soon after being activated but so many people seem to have all sorts of problems with them, none of the faults seem to be consistent to make much sense of them.

Good luck with the replacement and pleased that your levels behaved during the down time.... and that you had a lovely day. We did too. I made Ian walk all the way up the steep bankside above the house to visit the labyrinth up on the top.... we also came upon a small adventure playground/assault course type thing (probably mostly for kids.... but I try not to grow up when there is fun to be had) and as there was no one about I had a play... parallel bars, balance beam, cargo net, suspended swinging logs etc. I could have played for hours but Ian dragged me away before anyone came:(. We wandered around the labyrinth and I managed to lose him (he hobbles so slowly, so I ran about quite a bit trying to find him again. Then I left him up[ on the top and ran back down the steep bankside using the stone steps to get the car, drove round the carriage drive to pick Ian u as he wasn't up to walking back and then raced him back to the car park.... him driving the car and me running back down the tracks and bankside stone steps.
Wish it was closer to visit more frequently but not sure Ian would be so keen. 🙄 Really gutted that my BG levels peaked to 15 three hours after my lunch of red pepper soup with a cheese scone followed by a small piece of tiffin which I bolused 8 units for and especially as I did all that exercise afterwards. I've just had to stick another couple of units in as I levelled out on 9.5 and I was a lovely 5.1 when I ate lunch and I prebolused a good 10-15 mins whilst i was in the queue to get served. Doubt I will need much/any Levemir tonight though.... my thighs took some stick both going up and running down..... to say nothing of the assault course! 🙄 Need to head out and cut some grass and take it up to the GGS and fasten chucks away and then I am about done for the night.

Were you a bit dehydrated by any chance. That can mess with sensors.

Ask your DSN to prescribe Appeel adhesive remover. You spray it on and it dissolves the adhesive. Total game changer.
That’s a thought, it was only a five mile walk but was over a rocky shoreline which is quite hard work. I had a flask of water with me but I must admit I didn’t drink it all. It wasn’t hot today so wasn’t sweating so didn’t feel thirsty plus there wasn’t any loos!

Sorry to hear you have had a sensor misbehave. You could always leave it on for 14 days or until it drops off if the baby oil doesn't work. No idea why a sensor would fail so soon after being activated but so many people seem to have all sorts of problems with them, none of the faults seem to be consistent to make much sense of them.

Good luck with the replacement and pleased that your levels behaved during the down time.... and that you had a lovely day. We did too. I made Ian walk all the way up the steep bankside above the house to visit the labyrinth up on the top.... we also came upon a small adventure playground/assault course type thing (probably mostly for kids.... but I try not to grow up when there is fun to be had) and as there was no one about I had a play... parallel bars, balance beam, cargo net, suspended swinging logs etc. I could have played for hours but Ian dragged me away before anyone came:(. We wandered around the labyrinth and I managed to lose him (he hobbles so slowly, so I ran about quite a bit trying to find him again. Then I left him up[ on the top and ran back down the steep bankside using the stone steps to get the car, drove round the carriage drive to pick Ian u as he wasn't up to walking back and then raced him back to the car park.... him driving the car and me running back down the tracks and bankside stone steps.
Wish it was closer to visit more frequently but not sure Ian would be so keen. 🙄 Really gutted that my BG levels peaked to 15 three hours after my lunch of red pepper soup with a cheese scone followed by a small piece of tiffin which I bolused 8 units for and especially as I did all that exercise afterwards. I've just had to stick another couple of units in as I levelled out on 9.5 and I was a lovely 5.1 when I ate lunch and I prebolused a good 10-15 mins whilst i was in the queue to get served. Doubt I will need much/any Levemir tonight though.... my thighs took some stick both going up and running down..... to say nothing of the assault course! 🙄 Need to head out and cut some grass and take it up to the GGS and fasten chucks away and then I am about done for the night.
Sounds like a good, but busy day. I can just visualise you on the cargo nets! I would have got stuck in them. Maybe all the exercise will catch up with your BG levels tomorrow. That’s when it hits me quite often.

I've also had a few sensors end just a few days after activation. So annoying.

The easiest way I've found to remove the sensor is to pull the sensor away from the adhesive (leaving the adhesive attached to my skin) first. It's easier to grip this way for me. Once the sensor is off, the adhesive is easy to pull off.

I find baby wipes help to loosen the adhesive when it's really stuck on my skin and get rid of the residual goo.

The easiest way I've found to remove the sensor is to pull the sensor away from the adhesive (leaving the adhesive attached to my skin) first. It's easier to grip this way for me. Once the sensor is off, the adhesive is easy to pull off.
I find they peel off OK. I was worried the first couple of times that the thing that goes under the skin might be stiff (so peeling might hurt) but once I realised it's a soft tube I stopped worrying. However, skins vary.

Sorry you have had hassle with a sensor @eggyg

As Robin has suggested in the absence of a suitable doorway with the ability to mpremove any sensor without any effort, I would use Salts Adhesive Remover. Spray on, wait and off comes the tapes.
I hope your arm isn’t too sore.

I've also had a few sensors end just a few days after activation. So annoying.

I find baby wipes help to loosen the adhesive when it's really stuck on my skin and get rid of the residual goo.
I’ve done that this morning, did hurt a bit but at least I can give the adhesive a good old coating of oil and scrub it whilst in the shower. Thanks for that tip.

Update.

After firstly using baby wipes with oil on them, I then scrubbed my arm with my scratchiest shower puff and got it off! My arm’s red and feels bruised but I won’t die. Also had email from Abbott to say they are replacing it. All’s well that ends well. 🙂

I then scrubbed my arm with my scratchiest shower puff and got it off!
Personally I wouldn't do that, just because this paper recommends against it. The theory is that doing that might increase the chances of some allergic reaction, I think. Or maybe it just risks stressing the skin a bit. (I doubt it makes a big difference either way, I'm just slightly paranoid about being without a CGM now.)
Preserving Skin Integrity with Chronic Device Use in Diabetes

@trophywench has often recommended petroleum jelly (vaseline) to me to remove adhesive marks from Dex or Libre - and fair’s fair… it works a treat!

Sounds good where was that?

Lovely place, been three times, once when kids were little other times just me & wife.

Didn't know that adventure area was there, will look out for it next time we're there. Place does have fascinating history & you learn something new with each visit.

We often had holidays up Northumberland coast visiting places like Holy Island Bamber Castle Alnwick Castle to name few, need to go back as love that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back