Ever played the Diabetic card

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I have, once I locked myself out of my flat. I called the coucil who told me that it would be 4 hours. So I told them the truth that i needed to get my Insulin they werethere 20 mins later. Wondered if others had played this card.

I had to call a breakdown service (this was one I could not fix.) & was asked age & if I had any disability or medical condition. I said well, I’m type one diabetic. Do you have your meds with you? I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. Lol, actually I’d diagnosed the issue & had to call them back to send appropriate support. That’s a saga in itself. Lucky, I only lived a mile up the road.

Returning from holiday my flight into Paris was delayed so I missed my connection.
I was on the waiting list for the next flight but not guaranteed. I played the diabetes card to get on that flight.
I don’t play the D card often but I feel karma owed me.

I have, once I locked myself out of my flat. I called the coucil who told me that it would be 4 hours. So I told them the truth that i needed to get my Insulin they werethere 20 mins later. Wondered if others had played this card.
I wouldn't call this playing the card, personally if you're on medication that you need as a safety issue then that's one of the better reasons for someone to provide more urgent assistance. It feels to me like you, helli and SLH all just did the right thing.

Exactly - my husband registered me with the utilities services when we moved here 20+ years ago, as being both 'disabled' and 'vulnerable' - why? Because we'd had to remove and replace the gas and elec meters when we moved here and the chap who then rented the house next door who worked for the CEGB and another ditto we otherwise knew, recommended it - so when we ever have a gas or elec prob and need them to respond asap (who doesn't anyway?) - they actually, do!

Exactly - my husband registered me with the utilities services when we moved here 20+ years ago, as being both 'disabled' and 'vulnerable' - why? Because we'd had to remove and replace the gas and elec meters when we moved here and the chap who then rented the house next door who worked for the CEGB and another ditto we otherwise knew, recommended it - so when we ever have a gas or elec prob and need them to respond asap (who doesn't anyway?) - they actually, do!
Your question reminds me of the flight scene in 'Bridesmaids' :rofl:

1727518214332.png

I sometimes tell people that my Libre 2 is the button to switch me on and off.

1727518392585.png

I played the age and diabetes cards, and my consequent risks from Covid, when I got summoned for jury service in 2021. They excused me.

My neighbours children think it’s my charging point!
1727608026310.png

I played the age and diabetes cards, and my consequent risks from Covid, when I got summoned for jury service in 2021. They excused me.
I've never been summoned for jury service. If I were, I'd want to do it. Wouldn't there be an option nowadays (rather than in 2021) for a juror to attend only remotely if necessary for health reasons? If not, that seems rather discriminatory - and surely as a society we want juries to be as representative as possible?

Only ever used it to put name down first for surgery so not having to wait around all day.

Would be happy to use it in any circumstances if need arises.

Only ever used it to put name down first for surgery so not having to wait around all day.
I have had two surgeries recently.
They played the diabetes card on the first one and insisted I needed the first slot.
For the second one, I think I overplayed the “I am perfectly capable” card (aka the card that cancels the D card) so I was near the end of the list.

Unless I really needed it, I would not play the D card for major things such as utilities as I can definitely cope and I would rather they spent their valuable effort with the really vulnerable such as the elderly. My guilt would be too great in those cases.

However, I did blatantly play it for my (non diabetic) partner once. Our flight had been redirected and we had not eaten for many hours with no obvious chance to access any food for hours more. My partner was getting noticeably hangry so I spoke to the aircrew and requested something to tide me over because of my diabetes. They asked me hide the two muffins they gave me from the rest of the passengers. I think they decided they would rather deal with the risk of me exposing their “generosity” than the risk of me having a hypo.
I thought the whole plane should get something but I knew this was not possible as their was not enough food available.

Back