Evening dosage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoRicco

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good evening everyone.
If my evening reading is in normal/good range (5 and 7 ) should i still take my Lantus slow acting injection for over night ?
Hope everyone has had a good weekend 🙂
TYI
Jo

The purpose of your basal (evening/once or twice a day/slow acting) insulin is to maintain your levels as your liver drips glucose into your blood 24 hours a day.
If your basal dose is correct it will not drop your levels.

Sorry, short answer is “you should definitely take your Lantus”

The purpose of your basal (evening/once or twice a day/slow acting) insulin is to maintain your levels as your liver drips glucose into your blood 24 hours a day.
If your basal dose is correct it will not drop your levels.

Sorry, short answer is “you should definitely take your Lantus”
Thankyou , i'm only in my 3rd week of treatment and as you can imagine am still getting to grips with levels etc. Last night my bed time levels were just a tad over great but tonight i seem to be on a level field so thought i'd check. 🙂 x

YES!

In an ideal world, as @helli says, your basal will only be holding you steady - but so early on after diagnosis, you may not quite be confident that your basal is adjusted to your current needs… so you may want to be a little cautious if you are going to bed at the lower end of your range.

You might want to set an alarm for 3am to check you haven’t dropped low, or possible take a small snack of 10-15g of carbs (with no dose to cover it) which should nudge you up from 5 to 8ish.

YES!

In an ideal world, as @helli says, your basal will only be holding you steady - but so early on after diagnosis, you may not quite be confident that your basal is adjusted to your current needs… so you may want to be a little cautious if you are going to bed at the lower end of your range.

You might want to set an alarm for 3am to check you haven’t dropped low, or possible take a small snack of 10-15g of carbs (with no dose to cover it) which should nudge you up from 5 to 8ish.
Thankyou.. as it happens , i had a rubbish sleep so checked my levels at 2.30am and all was fine . Woke up with slightly higher levels than when i went to sleep. Thankyou again for your advice x

Thankyou.. as it happens , i had a rubbish sleep so checked my levels at 2.30am and all was fine . Woke up with slightly higher levels than when i went to sleep. Thankyou again for your advice x

Sounds perfect! Hope that’s reassuring for future days. Worth remembering that your dose needs are likely to rise and fall a little as time goes on (partly with the seasons). So keep an eye on things if you start getting unexpected lows, as your basal dose may need a minor tweak, as this could affect your risk of overnight hypos 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back