Evening blood sugar reading

Paschal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi. My evening blood sugar reading is 8.5. Is that particularly high? My fasting morning readings are generally below 7. Thank you.

Hi. My evening blood sugar reading is 8.5. Is that particularly high? My fasting morning readings are generally below 7. Thank you.
It all depends on how long it was since you ate, if more than 2 hours since your meal then yes it is a bit high, you want to aim to be no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal and 4-7 before eating.
If you are testing pre meal and then after 2 hours then you can look at the increase due to your meal which should be no more than 2-3 mmol/l, if it is your meal is a too carb heavy.
That does of course depend on what, if any medication you are taking as those are just guidelines.

Hi. Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Actually, that was a reading I took about 5 hours after eating. I guess it is rather high. Thank you again.

Hi. Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Actually, that was a reading I took about 5 hours after eating. I guess it is rather high. Thank you again.
Indeed that is rather high that long after eating, maybe you need to look at what you had and reduce the carbs.

What did you eat 5 hours ago?

Something I rarely ever eat. A brunch with fried food, plus toast!
We're all different but toast would push my levels high (I seem to react more strongly to wheat than some other carbs).

Toast would defo spike me, particularly if thick white bread (40g carbs for 2 slices) but I can eat loads of pasta or rice and it has nowhere near the same effect on my BG - it's weird, but as @BobbleHat has said, we're all different

Back