Etiological Approach to Characterization of Diabetes Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting stuff i scan read it ..alot is complicated for even my supersonic brain but i was interested in
Prior to 1979, no uniform classification of diabetes type existed.
as that's when i was first suspected of having D aged 15/16yrs and tested but came back negative ...i was then tested in the early 80's whilst at Uni ...then when pregnant with 2 child 1993 ...finally in 2009 aged 45 years i was DX with T2 ...makes me wonder if i have been since 1979...

I think my brain is a little blown away by that, although interestingly they seem to be mentioning a fifth auto-immune antibody marker for Type 1: Zinc transporter 8 (ZnT8)

(the other four apparently being: ICA (classical islet cell autoantibody), IAA (insulin autoantibody), GADA (autoantibody to glutamic acid decarboxylase, GAD65), and IA2A (autoantibody to protein tyrosine phosphatase-related IA-2 molecule))

I think my brain is a little blown away by that, although interestingly they seem to be mentioning a fifth auto-immune antibody marker for Type 1: Zinc transporter 8 (ZnT8)

(the other four apparently being: ICA (classical islet cell autoantibody), IAA (insulin autoantibody), GADA (autoantibody to glutamic acid decarboxylase, GAD65), and IA2A (autoantibody to protein tyrosine phosphatase-related IA-2 molecule))

plain english ?? please:confused:

plain english ?? please:confused:
Your assuming that I understand what I just wrote :D

Type 1 is assumed to be an autoimmune response where your body attacks itself, and specifically the pancreas.

To determine Type 1 they usually test you for antibodies. I was tested for GADA and ICA because I didn't fit the ideal Type 2 model (essentially negative on both).

But what that report said was that sometimes people are not identified as Type 1 because there are other antibodies that are not tested for or not discovered yet. One of which is this newly discovered (hah, I can find a reference in 2009) Zinc 8.

Your assuming that I understand what I just wrote :D

Type 1 is assumed to be an autoimmune response where your body attacks itself, and specifically the pancreas.

To determine Type 1 they usually test you for antibodies. I was tested for GADA and ICA because I didn't fit the ideal Type 2 model (essentially negative on both).

But what that report said was that sometimes people are not identified as Type 1 because there are other antibodies that are not tested for or not discovered yet. One of which is this newly discovered (hah, I can find a reference in 2009) Zinc 8.

thanks crystal clear now !🙄😉

Depends how you present doesn't it? if your BG is 33 and you have ++++ ketones then they generally just stamp your card T1 .....

Or are you saying because they hadn't invented those tests in 1972, I might really not be classic auto-immune T1 at all? Or did they do them then except they wouldn't have told me? - eg I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what my BG was, I wasn't told.

Depends how you present doesn't it? if your BG is 33 and you have ++++ ketones then they generally just stamp your card T1 .....

Or are you saying because they hadn't invented those tests in 1972, I might really not be classic auto-immune T1 at all? Or did they do them then except they wouldn't have told me? - eg I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what my BG was, I wasn't told.
I think sometimes the health profession just looks for a nice little box to put each of us in and then give the standard treatment for that box.

As Alan has commented elsewhere (and others), it seems that the boundaries are very blurred. They do comment in the report that a number of the presumed T1's had some aspect of T2, and some of the T2's had some aspects of T1 (this might be mixed up because the study participants were all under 20 years).

My own father was diagnosed 20 years ago, and if I ask him what type he is - he doesn't know. He is on basal/bolus insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back