Epilepy medication and blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Sands

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctor put me on Lamotrigine a couple of weeks back and by BG has just risen no matter what I eat (Medium portion) or the insulin I inject. (Basal - Humulin I, Bolus - Humulin S). The BG has risen to 12 - 15 after a meal, and it stays there.

i think from experience a lot of meds whether they be anti biotics, steroids , anti depressants , anti psychotics , pain killers can all send your blood sugars up and i some cases make the go low , its a trade off isnt it dont forget there is a lot of money involved in this set up

I am supposing that my BG will get used to the med, after all, it won;t be lonely as I take six other types.

I am trying to get my BG's down to a level I'm happy with - but it may take some time.
I'm also querying my DSN about it.

My doctor put me on Lamotrigine a couple of weeks back and by BG has just risen no matter what I eat (Medium portion) or the insulin I inject. (Basal - Humulin I, Bolus - Humulin S). The BG has risen to 12 - 15 after a meal, and it stays there.

Some studies suggest Lamotrigine doesn’t affect blood glucose but others say it can. Like everything, I guess it depends on the individual. Just to be sure, have you ruled out other causes of higher sugars eg the Covid vaccination, illness, stress, less exercise, etc, and have you changed your insulin pens/cartridges just in case the ones you’re using have degraded and become less effective @Silent Sands ?

I have just spoken to my DSN about this matter. Their conclusion is that it may increase appetite, which it has done when I come to think. I haven't increased by bolus to reflect this, which may have had a detrimental effect on my BG.
Also, during reflections, I may be snacking more, especially between meals which did affect my BG. Yesterday I broke this habit, for how long, I don't know. The result was that I lowered my BG to 5.5 before last night's meal and that it stayed lowered all night until I measured it at 6.4 this morning.

I have just spoken to my DSN about this matter. Their conclusion is that it may increase appetite, which it has done when I come to think. I haven't increased by bolus to reflect this, which may have had a detrimental effect on my BG.
Also, during reflections, I may be snacking more, especially between meals which did affect my BG. Yesterday I broke this habit, for how long, I don't know. The result was that I lowered my BG to 5.5 before last night's meal and that it stayed lowered all night until I measured it at 6.4 this morning.

Sounds like you’ve made great progress @Silent Sands

When I was first introduced to insulin therapy the concept for meals was given to me as ‘exchanges‘, where a certain dose of insulin ‘matched’ a certain number of grams of carbohydrate in 10u increments, so x or y ‘exchanges’ for breakfast, lunch, and evening meal.

I could eat more or less what I liked as long as it hit, but did not exceed, that target.

It got me into the habit of keeping portion sizes (of carbohydrate) fairly consistent, and countering hunger with other parts of meals.

The system I use now is a good deal more flexible, but I still see the sense in the old way, where people are happy to stick to fixed doses.

At least you have an explanation @Silent Sands Have you been given help to adjust your bolus or are you just trying to stick to your normal portions again?

Yes, I was given advice about increasing the bolus to accompany the meal. I did this morning up from 6 to 7 units of insulin for 4.5 portions of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back