England's Chris Pennell won't let diabetes defeat him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Coach Stuart Lancaster described it as an “unbelievable story” – and the son of ex-England cricketer Graham Dilley would not argue.

Chris Pennell, a diabetes sufferer who plays for recently-relegated Worcester, has made England’s 23 to face New Zealand on Saturday.

Three years after his famous dad passed away, the uncapped Warriors star will provide bench back-up for full-back Mike Brown in the Eden Park first Test.

“I guess I’m lucky in that rugby and cricket are very different sports,” he said, when asked what pressure he felt to emulate his father’s achievements.

“But, if I can have half as successful a rugby career as the old man in his cricket, I’d be very happy.”

Pennell, 27, played every minute of every Premiership match this season, a remarkable stat, given he lives with diabetes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/englands-chris-pennell-wont-diabetes-3645736

He was always one of my favourite players anyway - I only found out a few months ago that he had T1, which only served to reinforce my respect for him.

Such a shame his contract means he won't be in the Premiership next season and it's unlucky for him that Mike Brown is just so good. Chris definitely deserves more from his career and he's just been a bit unlucky with his team and the competition for the England full-back slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back