End organ damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillySallySo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello I've recently had a blood test and asked for my results to be printed out, oe comment on the results mentioned in summary I have End organ damage.

Does anyone know how to explain that in the simplest of terms, not really sure I understand from the Google I did tbh.
Will I need to have an organ replacement?

Hello I've recently had a blood test and asked for my results to be printed out, oe comment on the results mentioned in summary I have End organ damage.

Does anyone know how to explain that in the simplest of terms, not really sure I understand from the Google I did tbh.
Will I need to have an organ replacement?
I think you need to contact your GP for a explanation of the comment and why that conclusion has been made. It is something that appears to result from high or low blood pressure or shock situations according to Wikipedia
Only your GP can answer what needs to be done.

@Leadinglights is quite right, you need to ask our GP what it means.

With my absurd sense of humour, I think I might ask, which End of which organ?

Which test was it and what was the result? If it was something serious you’ll be contacted by your GP, you’re hopefully just misunderstanding it.

As others have said you need to discuss the report in detail with your GP for a precise answer.
My understanding of end organ damage in general terms is as follows.
As diabetics we are trying to control our glucose levels to keep them with a certain range.
If your glucose levels are outside this range for a reasonable amount of it can cause damage to tiny blood vessels (capillaries) around your body. This can lead to problems with eyes , kidneys etc. In other words this can lead to damage to end organs such as eye or kidneys etc.

Definitely speak to your GP @SillySallySo but you could also take a look at the test results while you’re waiting. It might be that one or more of those results gives you an idea of what, if any, organ is affected, eg look at your kidney results and see if your numbers are in range.

If you are finding it difficult to get through to your GP surgery over the phone (it seems increasingly difficult for many these days) your surgery website may offer an ‘e-consult’ form, where you can type your questions into an online form, and get a call back at the surgery’s convenience.

You could also call the Diabetes UK helpline (Mon-Fri 9-6 on 0345 123 2399) and speak to one of the friendly helpline advisers who might be able to help.

Hope you are able to get some reassurance soon.

If you are finding it difficult to get through to your GP surgery over the phone (it seems increasingly difficult for many these days) your surgery website may offer an ‘e-consult’ form, where you can type your questions into an online form, and get a call back at the surgery’s convenience.

You could also call the Diabetes UK helpline (Mon-Fri 9-6 on 0345 123 2399) and speak to one of the friendly helpline advisers who might be able to help.

Hope you are able to get some reassurance soon.
Have you ever used one?
At my surgery it was a long winded questionnaire, and as I was recovering from a head injury the previous day, and my other half filled it in for me, and it took him about 10mins to complete. My friend had one that would not let her continue to the end of the form.They don't seem to be always available all the time either.
I don't know if this happening all over the country, but I had a text Wedensday, the emailing for a prescription is being withdrawn in June. You are been encouraged to use the App or Online system, or taking the paper slip into the practice. I had an appointment yesterday with the Diabbetic Nurse, and she was double checking I had received the text.

Have you ever used one?
At my surgery it was a long winded questionnaire, and as I was recovering from a head injury the previous day, and my other half filled it in for me, and it took him about 10mins to complete. My friend had one that would not let her continue to the end of the form.They don't seem to be always available all the time either.
I don't know if this happening all over the country, but I had a text Wedensday, the emailing for a prescription is being withdrawn in June. You are been encouraged to use the App or Online system, or taking the paper slip into the practice. I had an appointment yesterday with the Diabbetic Nurse, and she was double checking I had received the text.
Our new online service is great actually, I have used it for me and my daughter at least 10 times since it went live and find it better.
Only thing I don't like is before the system could be used 24/7. Now the forms are only online 7am - 4.30pm but that's not a major.
It's not right at every place I know that, and not for every person, and I hate the one process for all rule. No way my grandma could ever work it.

@grovesy I had a very positive experience a year or two back, but I know that someone in the house has had a lot of frustration as the form (at the same practice) now seems to be time-limited, and not available whenever you have time to fill it in.

I can only assume they were getting overwhelmed and inundated with requests, and had to find ways to limit enquiries - much like only having appointments available if you call at exactly 8am when the phones open :(

Changes with and expectations from GP Surgeries is probably worthy of a thread in its own right. I moved c.30miles from Bucks to Berks some 10 months ago. In those 10 months my perception is that GP access "rules" have changed (for the worse) at my new GP Surgery. Phoning in now has a window of a few seconds from when the line opens and before it becomes permanently busy. The online system is only open for a short period each morning and once fully booked it closes. You can't start early! You can't email or leave a message. All the data that is needed as part of the online registration process is cleared/ lost; I tried to copy and keep it for tomorrow but that didn't work. If you've been unsuccessful you are encouraged to call 111 and the Surgery blatantly uses that triage process to decide if your case is serious - then 111 will instruct the Surgery to find you a slot that day. If you miss the call back, from a withheld number your case is closed; my phone only sounds a few times from incoming calls then defaults to missed call messages; I regularly hear it ringing and can't get it out of my pocket quickly enough. You can walk into the Surgery and leave a written message at Reception. There is no A&E in this town, just a "cottage hospital" providing certain outpatient services. The nearest A&E is in Reading, c.7+ miles away, difficult to get a car park space, almost an hour by bus, 20 mins by train and a modest walk from the Station to the Hospital.

Being ill is stressful. Getting guidance or advice feels impossible. The system is broken!

Have you ever used one?
I hope it isn't. I disagree entirely with having to use online or apps. Of course, there should be a choice but people should not be forced to use only online or apps.

Changes with and expectations from GP Surgeries is probably worthy of a thread in its own right. I moved c.30miles from Bucks to Berks some 10 months ago. In those 10 months my perception is that GP access "rules" have changed (for the worse) at my new GP Surgery. Phoning in now has a window of a few seconds from when the line opens and before it becomes permanently busy. The online system is only open for a short period each morning and once fully booked it closes. You can't start early! You can't email or leave a message. All the data that is needed as part of the online registration process is cleared/ lost; I tried to copy and keep it for tomorrow but that didn't work. If you've been unsuccessful you are encouraged to call 111 and the Surgery blatantly uses that triage process to decide if your case is serious - then 111 will instruct the Surgery to find you a slot that day. If you miss the call back, from a withheld number your case is closed; my phone only sounds a few times from incoming calls then defaults to missed call messages; I regularly hear it ringing and can't get it out of my pocket quickly enough. You can walk into the Surgery and leave a written message at Reception. There is no A&E in this town, just a "cottage hospital" providing certain outpatient services. The nearest A&E is in Reading, c.7+ miles away, difficult to get a car park space, almost an hour by bus, 20 mins by train and a modest walk from the Station to the Hospital.

Being ill is stressful. Getting guidance or advice feels impossible. The system is broken!
Goodness that sounds awful. It is very difficult to get through to any surgery these days I think. I find it fairly easy if it is later in the day. If you want an appointment though there will be none left. I called mine yesterday at 9.45 a.m. and a message said there were no appointments on phone or online left for that day. I didn't want one, I just wanted to ask a question. I did need in the end to see a GP and they made an appointment or 3 weeks time. It is nothing urgent.

The last twice they have arranged for me to see nurses which has been very satisfactory. One was on the Monday after I called at 5 pm on the Friday and the nurse made one for another problem with another nurse one week later. That saved two GP appointments which did not need me to use the GP's time.

It is very difficult though getting appointments at most surgeries now though I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back