End of honeymoon?

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
For the last 2 years or so I've needed a steady 2 units of abasaglar. For the last 6 months or so its varied between zero and 4.
Today, I am on 8! I may need more..we'll see how it goes overnight.
Is this the end of the honeymoon period?
Is there anything i should expect?
Is it worth looking at levemir? (it was decided there was no point as i was on such a low dose)
Is it likely to keep going up?

You’ll only know in retrospect @Tdm My honeymoon period lasted for some years and ended gradually too, so it was only in looking back that I’d realised it had happened. As for the Abasaglar, I think I’ve probably already said I’d change basal in your situation. There’s not just Levemir, there are the isophanes too. Take a look and see what you’d like to try. I find they automatically prescribe their ‘favourite’ insulins without thinking about you as an individual if you aren’t careful.

Your dose might not continue to rise. I’ve had Type 1 more than 30 years and only take 6 to 7 units basal.

It is difficult to know when the honeymoon is over. I know I was relieved once things settled down. It certainly sounds like you have few beta cells working and who knows if there are more to go. You are on the case and adjusting things to match what you need, which is what we have to do throughout. As @Inka says you will see when it ends when you look back in the future. Just keep adjusting.

You might find Levemir easier as you would have two injections, am and pm. This allows you to adjust one of them without changing the other. If you are using a half unit pen you can then fine tune your doses more easily and you may now be at a dose high enough to justify the split. I certainly found it easier when I did the switch, as it helped me to reduce night hypos.

Like the others say, this may indicate you are producing less of your own insulin. However, that does not mean you are producing no insulin and reaching the end of your honeymoon. My dose slowly increased over 8 years before it was stable.
But ... that is not the only reason why your insulin dose has increased. It maybe because your liver is dumping more glucose to handle stress or illness, for example.You mention "Today, I am taking ..." but not how long this increase has been going on . If it is only a few days, i would keep a close eye on it as it maybe temporary.

Nothing stressful happening, i did think i may be coming down with something but no symptoms as yet.
I have a daphe catch up nov so if i keep needing 8 basal may ask them about levemir- they moved most people over on Daphne but there was no point as was only on 2 basal

8u isn't high dose anyway so even if it goes up it's nowt to worry about.

Been diagnosed 42 years but still remember injecting next to nothing at one point & thinking pancreas might have made a miraculous recovery, wishful thinking.

Back