1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Employment issues

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by NatalieC88, Oct 9, 2019.

1. NatalieC88

NatalieC88 New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Hi all
    Has anyone here had any issues with their employer as a result of their diabetes?
    I'm type one and unable to do my job as a bus driver as dvla have revoked my licence because I don't yet have 3 months sugar readings.
    My employer seems quite happy to let me sit at home and struggle financially on sick pay whilst I stabilise everything but it's not helping my overall health.
    My GP seems to think work are legally obligated to make some adjustments so I can get back to work.(obviously not driving)
    Can anyone offer any advice as to where I stand?
    Many thanks

2. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi. My understanding is An employer is supposed to make reasonable adjustments. Sorry I don’t know inns and outs of the disability act that covers you . This is the number of our helpline

3. Gwen Diabetes UK

Gwen Diabetes UK Administrator Staff Member

Hi Natalie, the Diabetes UK advocacy service can help you with this! We can talk to you about the Equality Act, reasonable adjustments and what you can do if you're having issues at work. If you'd like to get in touch feel free to call us on 0345 123 2399 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm or email us at helpline@diabetes.org.uk

4. NatalieC88

NatalieC88 New Member

Type 1
    Thank you so much
    I've been into my work this morning and they are going to see what they can do so have to give them some time.
    If needed I can give you a call next week

5. Felinia

Felinia Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I used to work for Stagecoach South West until retirement. When people had health issues (heart attack, operations, cancer treatment, pregnancy etc) management really tried to help, by giving them office based work. For example, working in the Travel Shop, the Training Centre, helping the Controllers, or just general clerical and telephone duties. I'm sure your company must have some similar provisions for short term time off the road. Good luck.

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  6. NatalieC88

NatalieC88 New Member

Type 1
    Hi Felinia

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately my boss is of the opinion that he has no obligation to try and accommodate me elsewhere. I understand it's difficult as I work in a small depot for a local company. Unite are also saying the company are only obliged to make adjustments once I get my pcv back, but have said they will check this.
    Being newly diagnosed I could still face several months off work while everything stabilises. Need to find out where I stand legally so next step will be to call the helpline

7. Felinia

Felinia Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Sorry to hear that - I hope you can get the help you need.

8. Ljc

Ljc Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I am sorry to hear this. Managers are often not aware of all the rules and regs
    If you have an Occupational health dept and or union I would approach them as well as our helpline.
    Good luck and when able please let us know how it’s going.

9. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Your employer could dispose of your services without you having any recourse to an employment tribunal. You were employed as a bus driver. You aren’t allowed to drive a bus at the moment. In employment terms that means he can’t use you in the job. If he hasn’t got alternative employment, then you may be out of a job. In that circumstance, there is no obligation in employment law for your employer to keep you on, particularly if it is a small organisation. It may take you a fair bit longer than three months to get the stable readings the DVLA require.

10. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    So sorry to hear about your revoked license and the issues it is causing with employment.

Hope the Helpline can give you some useful info and support, and clarify the legal position for you.

Have you considered or explored the possibility of continuous glucose monitoring (perhaps just in the short term of you need to self fund) while you begin to learn the best strategies for your own glucose management.

How easy or challenging it will be to increase your time-in-Range varies from person to person.

Hopefully you can get your license restored and employment issues resolved soon.

11. Jojo catwoman

Jojo catwoman Active Member

Type 2
    Hi
    Is there anything in the Disability Act that covers this situation? Think diabetes may be classed as a defined disability and if so, I think your employer could fall foul of the law.
    After all, you are only asking for a temporary change in role at the moment, until things are sorted to the DVLA's satisfaction.
    Good luck with this x