embarrassing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat1953

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi everyone I have been taking slow release metformin for 5 months now and after about 12 hours they pass though me and are still whole! has any one else experienced this, my bs has gone down from 7-5 to 6-6, thanks if you have any advice,pat.

Hi Pat1953, I don't personally have any experience of metformin, but this certainly doesn't sound right! If they are not being digested, maybe you don't need them as your levels are coming down? I think you need to speak to your doctor about this. There is a liquid version of metfrmin, I believe, and maybe this would suit you better.

Metformin does all kinds of strange things and the side effects should have passed within a few weeks.

Not sure if others have come across this problem before, but it didn't happen to me.

If you are worried or uncertain, speak to your doctor and see what they advise. Even if this is normal for slow release metformin, it is always good to have the re assurance.

As it's slow rellease you may find that it's just the outer shell that has passed through and the contents have been released and absorbed. Might be an idea to mention it to your Dr or nurse.
C 🙂

Hi there Pat I would definetly make an appointment and speak to your doctor about this , this is the first time i have heard of this happening, they is indeed a liquid metformin as Northerner said so id certainly go to your doctor and say you want to try that .

Good luck

Hi Pat, Is it Glucophage SR you are on? - that is the slow release version of Metformin that I am on. I have not experienced the symptoms you have, but as others have suggested I would see your dsn/gp.

I was recently put on metformin slow release (Glucophage SR) - the pharmicist told me I might see bits of tablet in stool! But I haven't looked to be honest 🙂

thanks

thank all who kindly replied to my question Ihave spoken to my pharmacist today who thinks it could be my gut as i have IBS she recommends Crystal form that you mix with water I have passed this message to my dn and wait to see what happens you can get liquid form but this is about 100 pounds so i wont hold my breath waiting for that.thanks again pat.

the one you mix with water is quite new I think, never seen it used before but saw an advert for it recently. Hope you can get something that suits you pat

Powdered Metformin? Not in the BNF, so i'm guessing you have to either import it of get it made up specially, which could mean a delay of a few days for your prescription. I'd doubt the powder would be cheap either. I think i saw a packet once, but i'm not sure. It's certainly not something my hospital buys in.

Yeah, mine is seriously out of date (cheapskate NHS only provides them free for pharmacists, pre-registration pharmacists and medicines managment techs, none of which i am...Boooo).

Yeah, mine is seriously out of date (cheapskate NHS only provides them free for pharmacists, pre-registration pharmacists and medicines managment techs, none of which i am...Boooo).

I'm sure my dentist said he also has trouble getting an up to date copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back