Elderly Father has gangrene help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello, I’m new here so please be gentle.

My 79 year old Dad was admitted to hospital with a UTI in early October.

He had many health conditions but he was mobile able to walk with a stick for maybe 5 mins.

He had a well managed foot ulcer when he went in and seemed delirious. The hospital IMO neglected Dad by not feeding and hydrating him or even really interacting with him.

He at some point developed gangrene in his existing foot ulcer. It was always heavily bandaged so I had no idea!

Now he is totally buggered. He cannot have an operation because he is very weak now.

Apparently we just have to leave him to die slowly from this gangrene toe.

It’s just hideous and I feel powerless to help him. Does anyone have any experience even close to this? Is this normal? How can I help him?

Bewildered.

Oh Goodness! That is shocking! Sending (((HUGS)))
Have you asked for a second opinion? Surely it is worth attempting an amputation? I wonder if the Diabetes Helpline (top right hand side of this page... I think it is office hours only) may be able to give you some support/advice and possibly PALS which is a patient advocate service.
I can't begin to imagine how distressed you must be. We have a couple of members who have had amputations in the last few months. Sadly one of them hasn't posted since her surgery, which I am very concerned about now but I guess she has a lot to deal with physically and emotionally.
Whilst clearly amputation is an horrific prospect, no amputation is far worse in this case. I really can't offer anything else in the way of advice myself but my heart goes out to you and I very much hope you are able to push for a better solution than the situation you are currently in. Sending love to you.

Oh Goodness! That is shocking! Sending (((HUGS)))
Have you asked for a second opinion? Surely it is worth attempting an amputation? I wonder if the Diabetes Helpline (top right hand side of this page... I think it is office hours only) may be able to give you some support/advice and possibly PALS which is a patient advocate service.
I can't begin to imagine how distressed you must be. We have a couple of members who have had amputations in the last few months. Sadly one of them hasn't posted since her surgery, which I am very concerned about now but I guess she has a lot to deal with physically and emotionally.
Whilst clearly amputation is an horrific prospect, no amputation is far worse in this case. I really can't offer anything else in the way of advice myself but my heart goes out to you and I very much hope you are able to push for a better solution than the situation you are currently in. Sending love to you.
Thank you. I’m in contact with PALS and there is an investigation in to Dads care and the gangrene in his foot.
I’m going to seek a second opinion tomorrow.

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on and really hoping for a more positive outcome for your Dad. X

Hello, I just wanted to say thank you for the advice I wish I had found this forum sooner. Dad died peacefully at home last week ❤️
So sorry for your loss xxxxx

Oh no! I am so very sorry! Heartfelt condolences to you and your family! I am just sorry we weren't able to help you more.

Seems rather trivial but sending virtual (((HUGS))).

So very sorry to hear that. Huge hugs.

So very sorry to hear your news. Big hugs

So sorry for your loss.

Hello, I just wanted to say thank you for the advice I wish I had found this forum sooner. Dad died peacefully at home last week ❤️
So sorry to read your news. Take care

So sorry to hear your news but good that he had a peaceful end at home with family around. It is hard to come to terms with such a loss but just take one day at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back