El Stupido!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yes, thats me, idiot of the week award! I've gone and left my meter at home. 😱

Oh no Martin are you to far from home to go andget it on your lunch? or is nobody at home to bring it to you?

If your only at work, thats not too bad.

My OH left his at home when we went camping for the weekend, In wales.
Luckily, his friend was coming down later in the day on the train, so he brought it with him.

You just have to assume your doses are right and carry on as normal, it should work out OK............hypo resolve at arms length is advisable obviously.........:D

Yeah I'm just at work so not the end of the world. Fairly straight forward lunch planned so should be good assuming no nasty surprises. Can't really get home though as it's a three hour round trip at best so will have to wing it today and hope I don't go far wrong.

Good job my hypo awareness is okay. Can't believe I forgot it! *kicks self*

If your only at work, thats not too bad.

My OH left his at home when we went camping for the weekend, In wales.
Luckily, his friend was coming down later in the day on the train, so he brought it with him.

Thats lucky!

I've done it before, but usually realise with enough time to go back or be in a position where someone can fetch it for me. Even shared one with a friend once, he had spare lancets fortunately.

Are you near a chemist? If you're worried you could always go and get a spare one (usually can get cheap ones for under ?15) then you will always have one at work? Maybe you could convince work they need to buy it to have in the first aid kit...?!

Are you near a chemist? If you're worried you could always go and get a spare one (usually can get cheap ones for under ?15) then you will always have one at work? Maybe you could convince work they need to buy it to have in the first aid kit...?!

That is a good idea! I did consider going to a chemist that does a "free diabetes test" but I reckon that would be a bit cheeky! Buying one never occured to me though 😱

Just don't tell them that you'll diabetic they may refuse to sell it to you!

A couple years ago, I ran over my meter with my car😱 So popped down to our local chemist all going well until I made the fatal mistake of double checking that the test strips were available on prescription..

She wouldn't sale me the meter or any meter, as in her minds eye I would be better contacting clinic to get another one free... Which I knew but at this was Tuesday, my hospital clinic is the next town and no clinic until Thursday and my GP diabetic nurse isn't in the surgery until her clinic on Friday, a bit pushed and really didn't mind paying for one...

Alas still refused, I had to wait until dinner time and send in hubby to buy one for me😱

We were on holiday in Cornwall a couple of years ago, went for a day out (3 hours drive) and at lunch time realised I'd left my full box of tricks in the caravan (pens, needles meter test strip et all) - panic time.
Phoned my DSN back home in Scotland, she advised I find a local doctor and ask the receptionist for an emegency appointment.
Found one and they were brill. Waiting room full of people but I was called straight in. She rang my DSN. Immediate prescription for pens and needles, but couldn't give me a meter/test strips. Into Chemist next door and 15 minutes later, relax!
I don't think many GP's would want to refuse a stranger and risk them dying on their doorstep lol

Well, I'm home and fed. Tested when I got in and I was a very respectable 5.3 🙂 this confirms that I feel of for other reasons! Ah well, crisis over.

Well, I'm home and fed. Tested when I got in and I was a very respectable 5.3 🙂 this confirms that I feel of for other reasons! Ah well, crisis over.

very respectable.........I was 5.2 at tea, but that was after a 4.0 an hour earlier and 6 jelly babies..............

Just don't tell them that you'll diabetic they may refuse to sell it to you!

A couple years ago, I ran over my meter with my car😱 So popped down to our local chemist all going well until I made the fatal mistake of double checking that the test strips were available on prescription..

She wouldn't sale me the meter or any meter, as in her minds eye I would be better contacting clinic to get another one free... Which I knew but at this was Tuesday, my hospital clinic is the next town and no clinic until Thursday and my GP diabetic nurse isn't in the surgery until her clinic on Friday, a bit pushed and really didn't mind paying for one...

Alas still refused, I had to wait until dinner time and send in hubby to buy one for me😱

That is absolutely mental 😱

glad your levels were ok when you got home martin x

Purpleshadez - well done; shows that a day without a meter isn't impossible.
I reckon it's always worth estimating my blood glucose level before testing, so that on the odd occasions I can't test, I can rely on my estimate. I also reckon it's worth using 2 meters - 1 stays at home, the other is always in my rucksack, which tends to come everywhere with me.

Purpleshadez - well done; shows that a day without a meter isn't impossible.
I reckon it's always worth estimating my blood glucose level before testing, so that on the odd occasions I can't test, I can rely on my estimate. I also reckon it's worth using 2 meters - 1 stays at home, the other is always in my rucksack, which tends to come everywhere with me.

Thanks, I used to play "the blood sugar game" with my previous manager. Penny bets and the nearest wins. He was suprisingly good at it too 🙂 I agree with you about the 2nd meter. I'm going to get another contour I think so I can share the strips between both meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back