Edema and Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey all. Bit of a "is this a thing" kinda question.

I have edema in my legs and this was there pre diagnosis. Long story short, GPs dont know why its happening, the usual suspects have been ruled out (heart/bp etc)

Anyway been on water pills for a year now and it mostly keeps it in check enough that there's fluid there but not bothersome too often.

So in about Nov or Dec (loosing track) I had a tummy issue where I had diarrhoea for a week and the water tablets are one of those things you shouldn't take when that happens. I was a good lil patient and followed that advice 😉
First few days I was getting lows which I think was mainly due to not digesting food properly and then some highs which I put down to the probable virus/infection.
Eventually increased basal as it wasn't cutting it. Since then have been creeping up with my basal.
I never really got back into a good habbit of doing water tablets (ie daily) and was running crisis mode of take 2 them every few days up to shift the fluid that was building up (allowed to double them to get rid of excess) but it never really does the job vs daily.
With that brings really epic peeing for hours so its hard to get control back when you are chained to the bathroom for hours everyday for up to a week and still gotta do life.

This past week I have bit the bullet and done just that and gotten back on top of things.

My basal needs have very quickly changed this week and Libre has gone off most days at least once because heading low. Mostly seems to be drifting rather than sharp drops.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is water tablet compliance and fluid levels. Would it be possible / likely to have an impact at all?
I have lost about 3kg this week (please don't congratulate me, it will be water weight lol)

Anyone have any sciency explanations or hypothesis' ?

Hey all. Bit of a "is this a thing" kinda question.

I have edema in my legs and this was there pre diagnosis. Long story short, GPs dont know why its happening, the usual suspects have been ruled out (heart/bp etc)

Anyway been on water pills for a year now and it mostly keeps it in check enough that there's fluid there but not bothersome too often.

So in about Nov or Dec (loosing track) I had a tummy issue where I had diarrhoea for a week and the water tablets are one of those things you shouldn't take when that happens. I was a good lil patient and followed that advice 😉
First few days I was getting lows which I think was mainly due to not digesting food properly and then some highs which I put down to the probable virus/infection.
Eventually increased basal as it wasn't cutting it. Since then have been creeping up with my basal.
I never really got back into a good habbit of doing water tablets (ie daily) and was running crisis mode of take 2 them every few days up to shift the fluid that was building up (allowed to double them to get rid of excess) but it never really does the job vs daily.
With that brings really epic peeing for hours so its hard to get control back when you are chained to the bathroom for hours everyday for up to a week and still gotta do life.

This past week I have bit the bullet and done just that and gotten back on top of things.

My basal needs have very quickly changed this week and Libre has gone off most days at least once because heading low. Mostly seems to be drifting rather than sharp drops.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is water tablet compliance and fluid levels. Would it be possible / likely to have an impact at all?
I have lost about 3kg this week (please don't congratulate me, it will be water weight lol)

Anyone have any sciency explanations or hypothesis' ?
Hello @gll ,

It maybe helpful to speak to your health care team regarding these sudden changes.

Reactions: gll
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back