Eating sweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

starstuff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am in a group where people keep saying I can eat this or I can eat that and it doesn’t spike my sugars but surely if they are eating cakes and biscuits pasta etc they are consuming sugar which isn’t good for you even if it doesn’t spike your sugars

You could ask them what their last HbA1c was and how many meds they are taking I guess?

It depends ...
- how much they are eating
- how carb intolerant your body is. We are all different
- how high does a spike need to be before it is counted as a spike? People without diabetes will see a spike.
- what type of diabetes they have and how it is treated. I will happily eat carbs and manage my insulin so I do not spike very high.

Overall, we are in charge of what we eat and what impact is tolerable to us both physically and mentally.

It could be they are Type 1 diabetic or Type 2 on insulin where they match their insulin dose to the amount of carbohydrate which includes sugar, but those of us who are Type 2 dietary managed or diet and oral medication need to watch their intake of all carbohydrates not just sugar.
But actually it is really nobody's business but theirs.

I am in a group where people keep saying I can eat this or I can eat that and it doesn’t spike my sugars but surely if they are eating cakes and biscuits pasta etc they are consuming sugar which isn’t good for you even if it doesn’t spike your sugars
If they are inferring that you personally can eat something then it is not good advice - there is a lot of variation in what people can eat, even if they have the same diagnosis.
I find that any carbohydrate will cause a spike - so I need to chose carefully and get the timing right.

How do these people know that it doesn’t spike their sugars? Are they doing lots of testing? Do they have a Libre or similar device? What was their last HbA1c? Personally I’d take their comments with a very large pinch of salt, decide for yourself what constitutes a healthy diet and then stick to that and forget about what they are saying. Chances are all is not what it seems.
And as others have said, everyone is different, so even if they are telling the truth, what works for one doesn’t always work for another.

Many on here eat pasta, it all depends on the effect it has on you personally.
As said everyone is different, carbs are just another food group.
I don't avoid them, others do, in varying degrees and varying types.

Hi , I have only recently joined the forum but have been given an education in Type 2 diabetic issues.

In my case I have considerable reduced intake of cakes , buns , sweets and lager type beers.I fell that what works for me not work for you. I purchased a blood sugar level machine an on a fasting test over time my levels dropped from 15.8 to 8.5 ( far from perfect ) but going down.I was given a prescription of 2 X 500gms to be taken in the morning and in the evening both with meals.My body will tolerate 1 Metformin pill but 2 is really big a no no.

Contacted my doctor who suggested I reduce the Metformin to 1 pill for a month and try again.Literally taking the second pill I had to sit on the throne instantly !

I react to most medication in a strange way , as an example when I go to the dentist local anthectic does not work so I recently had an extraction in hospital using the date rape drug and no side effects at all. I had to go to the doctor the following day for a check up / how did you get here / drove / went potty and told me to leave my car at the surgery.

I was instructed not to drive my car for another 72 hours.( Hospital said nothing)

I have only had one general anthectic in my life and I should have been out for 10 minutes and I woke up 2 hours later on a hospital ward.

No doubt what your friends say in given in good faith but what you put into your mouth is down to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back