Eating Sensibly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDeeson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had type 2 since 2002. On gliclazide. Have great difficulty in getting blood sugar readings 7mmol/l or below, particularly first thing in the morning when they are as high as 10 (diabetic clinic no help), and tea time. Have cereal and two low fat yogurts breakfast and tea, and meal lunch. Any suggestions of out-of-the-packet food which doesn't adversely affect readings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Am overweight (have lost three stone) but don't snack or over eat. No exercise!!!

Hi David, welcome to the forum🙂 A lot of people find they wake to higher levels than they would like, there can be increased insulin resistance in the mornings for some people, myself included. I don't wake above range, but I do need more insulin for my breakfast carbs than I would do later in the day (e.g. a sliceo toast in the morning can be as high as 5 units, but at lunch only 3). I like to have toast and scrambled egg, or maybe packet porridge which is quick and easy to make. Some people like Shredded Wheat with hot milk in winter (I can't stand the stuff!).

Hopefully, some of the others will have more useful suggestions!🙂

Controlling Carbs

I have had type 2 since 2002. On gliclazide. Have great difficulty in getting blood sugar readings 7mmol/l or below, particularly first thing in the morning when they are as high as 10 (diabetic clinic no help), and tea time. Have cereal and two low fat yogurts breakfast and tea, and meal lunch. Any suggestions of out-of-the-packet food which doesn't adversely affect readings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Am overweight (have lost three stone) but don't snack or over eat. No exercise!!!

Dear David,

The most potent way to reduce your BS readings is to restrict your intake of carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta, starch and sugar). I use a controlled carbohydrate regime which has worked for me for over 12 years. The theory behind this is simple: If you don't put glucose ie carbohydrate, into your body - how can you have high blood sugar? This approach is not easy and will be frowned upon by your diabetes team BUT IT WORKS

Regards Dodger

I am Type 2 and only diagnosed in October. I too have noticed that if i cut my carb intake quite a lot at mealtimes then my reading is a lot lower but according to the 'experts' your meal has to conisist of 2 - 3 servings of carb which if i took notice of that my readings would be a lot worse. I think i adopt the attitude that a little carb is better than none at all but a little is the operative word.

I am Type 2 and only diagnosed in October. I too have noticed that if i cut my carb intake quite a lot at mealtimes then my reading is a lot lower but according to the 'experts' your meal has to conisist of 2 - 3 servings of carb which if i took notice of that my readings would be a lot worse. I think i adopt the attitude that a little carb is better than none at all but a little is the operative word.

Very sensible Carina - you do what works for YOU. It has to be something you can sustain, so small, gradual changes that you are happy with are the best way. In time you find the balance between doing what you need for your levels and still get enjoyment from food and life. I've been diagnosed 18 months now and have discovered that I rarely, if ever, snack between meals - before I used to graze ALL the time, now I just don't have the inclination. But you musn't make your self miserable by trying too much at once.

I'm learning all the time and i'm due to go on a DESMOND course on 21 Jan so hopefully will be able to understand food and carbs etc a bit more. My evening meal this evening consisted of a mixed salad, mackrell and my carb intake was 3 small crackers with a bit of stilton cheese and a glass of wine and my reading post-meal 2 hours later was 6.1 which i was pleased with so i already know that this type of meal will work for me but i have made some errors along the way like once i had a high carb meal (although at the time i thought it was ok) and the reading was very high and garlic bread for me is a no no.

Low fat yoghurts are not always low sugar, so it is worth checking what is in the yoghurt. I make my own and add fruit to it. There is a certain ammount of natural sugar in fruit, but not the refined stuff found in mannufactured/processed foods

It is the fat sugar and salt content that helps make most procesed foods taste better, although not always be good for us.

A tip I was given was the longer something takes to eat, the slower the release of the sugars.

We are all different, so the trick is to keep testing and see what affects you most.

A Type II diabetic friend only got ideal control when he went onto insulin. Despite rumours to the contary he did not gain any weight and feels a lot fitter. The doseage is quite low (16 units spread over two injections) and his only other meds are a statin. The only downside was that he had to inform the DVLA and now has a three year licence. Might be worth discussing.

It's the same for me Carina, I've cut way down on the carbs and it seems to be working.

Hi there,
check out these two sites they might help you get a grip ...

One of the best pieces of advice for T2s to help put them in control is ...
http://jennifer.flyingrat.net/

another major contributor to the online diabetic community is the Aussie called Alan S. Read his "test, Review, Adjust" advice here ...
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...ew-adjust.html

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back