Eating Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathleen C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone
Can anyone advise on a safe option when eating out.
Warmest wishes & happy easter
Kathleen

I can’t think of any dangers about eating out. Can you be a bit more specific about your concerns?

Sorry I’m not 100% sure I was just looking for some safe foods I could choose whilst out.
Kathleen

Sorry I’m not 100% sure I was just looking for some safe foods I could choose whilst out.
Kathleen
Things to avoid are meals that come with chips or rice or are pasta based, you can usually ask for more veg or salad instead.
Steak, salmon, chicken dishes with veg and salad. Some places do mini puddings with a hot drink.
For Indian I usually have the tandoori dishes and share a veg side and a nan. Thai green or red curry I often choose.9
Chinese is more difficult I find

Kathleen
What type of foods do you normally eat? Where are you eating out at and what would you like most from the menu?

Pasta, rice, bread, potatoes [small egg sized = 12carbs] all are high carb items so any meal including them will
Chicken salad will be a low carb meal.
Then there are facts like brown is healthier than white be it bread, pasta, rice.

You will have to learn and apply these carb/meal ratios to your choices, you'll soon get used to what portion sizes are what carb amounts for a given food.

If you have an Iphone or similar you can search for a named meal carbs, most supermarkets list their ingredient's and by comparing their weights.

I'm a type 1 on insulin and I see you are a type 2 when were you diagnosed, what medication were you given and were you asked to follow a specific diet?
Please remember that my comments are written as I apply them and are not meant to be taken in lieu of your Doctors treatment.

Best

Firstly we need to know how you manage your diabetes before we can help you. Is it just dietary controlled or do you also use medication? If medication, which one(s)?
If dietary controlled, do you follow a low calorie diet or a low carb diet?
Is it a special occasion ie your birthday or just a normal social outing?

These things all impact the advice we might give?

For instance, if it is your birthday and you are dietary controlled, then you might want to look at it as a one off special occasion where you relax your diet for that meal and have whatever you fancy.
If you are dietary controlled and this is a normal social event, then you might want to choose low carb or low calorie, depending upon your approach to your diabetes management. Then you are looking at avoiding high carb foods or high calorie foods, so in the first instance, asking for chips, potatoes or rice to be replaced by extra salad and coleslaw or vegetables. Having meals where the carbs are all mixed in like pasta dishes or risotto or stews makes it more difficult to avoid the carbs so something like a steak or fish and salad will be relatively simple.
On the other hand, if you take Gliclazide which encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin, then you need a few more carbs so perhaps eat some of the potatoes/ pasta/ rice but not all.

I follow a low carb way of eating, so I sometimes have 2 lower carb starters instead of a main course and generally have cheese afterwards with a few apple slices but leave the biscuits, if others are having a dessert. Obviously cheese is high calorie, so not suitable if you follow a low calorie diet and perhaps just have coffee instead of a dessert.

There are lots of approaches to managing diabetes so you really need to give us more info about how you manage yours in order for us to advise you. It is one of the reasons why there is such contradictory info about what not to eat with diabetes.

I’m T1. I rarely go out to eat (huge from scratch/home cook) but when I do. I eat what looks good on the menu.
Usually I walk/cycle home with the family so I tend to take a 1-3 units less insulin (depending on how far the travelling is) and correct later if I need to.
For the first year of diagnosis I was terrified to eat out or anything different. I was miserable, living on salads, beginning to become scared of food.
One day I just went nope enough is enough and forced myself out to enjoy the treat. I try to stick to the kind of things I make at home as much as possible to give me a rough idea of the carbs.
Suppose what I’m trying to say if go out, do the scary thing and enjoy your food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back