Eating Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

julieann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic now since 23 August 2010 and have been taking metformin. I still find it hard not to have the foods i've always had and enjoyed and I worry about my blood sugar however I don't know what it is whether its high or low as I've been told I don't have to measure it on a daily basis.

I just wondered if this is normal to feel like this.

I have been having regular blood test for another issue and the blood sugars are still quite high averaging about 10-15.

Can I still have the foods I enjoy and should I be concerned or wait until I have my diabetic check (which I still haven't had since being diagnosed) and wait to see what they say.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Worried new diabetic!!!!

Hi Julieann

If you are concerned about the effect of the foods you are eating on your BG there is no better way of monitoring what is actually going on than getting a blood glucose meter and beginning a structured programme of testing.

Some GPs are reluctant to prescribe test strips to type 2's, but the NHS supports SMBG (self monitoring of blood glucose) in motivated individuals where the monitoring is having a positive effect on their diabetic control.

From what I've read, whether or not you can persuade your GP to prescribe you strips is pretty much the luck of the draw, but I would certainly encourage you to try.

In terms of when to test, Jennifer's Advice is a pretty good framework. It's quite a lot of testing in the early days, but once you know which foods cause problems with your BG levels and can avoid them, you'll be able to drop back to a lower 'just checking how things are going occasionally' level, or more intensively if trying out new things.

Good luck!
Mike

You should be having checks at least 6 monthly. And diet is very important, there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but I've found personally, that a low GI (Glycaemic Index) diet helps. That means, cutting way down on things like bread, spuds, pasta and rice though you can have sweet potato, brown or wild rice and wholemeal bread and pasta in smallish amounts. High sugar foods are a no-no as a rule so no sweets or chocolate and you need to reduce the amount of high sugar fruit you eat (things like bananas and grapes). There's a whole load of advice and ideas to be found in our Food Carbs and Recipes section that you should find useful.

The debate about allowing Type 2s to test is ongoing and the NICE Guidelines aren't exactly helpful. I think it's vital in the early days at least to let all diabetics test as often as possible while they learn what foods are OK and what to avoid. You might consider buying your own kit and testing anyway if you have the funds.

i'm obviously not doing as I should and I know that but like I said its hard to adapt. I was quite strict at first when I was diagnosed as it scared me then i've slipped back into old habits.

I know i've got to change and I am trying but its hard work!!!

thank you for your advice its much appreciated.

Can I also ask if anyone out there has been a type 2 on medication and then put onto insulin and how long before this happened and is this quite common and should that be something I should be concerned about with the way things are going?

I was given a meter when diagnosed in October last year and it was very very useful in working out what I could and could not eat. I'd recommend that you get one (especially if you can get it cheaply/free) and worry about the test strips later (you'll get some with the meter to start with).

I actually checked with my GP today and he's happy to prescribe them for me at the rate that I currently use them (a pot of 50 now lasts me between 6 and 12 months).

However, at the beginning I was testing once a day at different times. I did that and had a food diary so that I could easily relate what I'd eaten with what my readings were.

Andy 🙂

i'm obviously not doing as I should and I know that but like I said its hard to adapt. I was quite strict at first when I was diagnosed as it scared me then i've slipped back into old habits.

I know i've got to change and I am trying but its hard work!!!

thank you for your advice its much appreciated.

Can I also ask if anyone out there has been a type 2 on medication and then put onto insulin and how long before this happened and is this quite common and should that be something I should be concerned about with the way things are going?

I'd like to point out that I went the other way. I was initially on gliclazide and then metformin. But, because I lost quite a bit of weight and got a grip on my control, I am now not on any medication at all.

Also, I don't feel as if my diet is in any way restrictive. I'm actually eating better now than I did prior to diagnosis (just fewer take-aways and indulgences)!

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back