Easy to use glucose meter

William_231

Relationship to Diabetes
My mother-in-law (aged 87) is having difficulty using her glucose meter. Specifically, the test strips are too small, they require very accuirate blood drop placement which she cannot manage, the dock they go into much too small and difficult for her to 'hit. I want to suggest a replacement that is very easy to handle (and simple). Can anyone recommend a meter/strip combination that is suitable for someone with limited hand mobility and accuracy, and OK but not great eyesight? Thanks!

Hi @William_231 , welcome! What type of diabetes does your mother-in-law have? Depending on where she lives, she may meet the criteria for, or be able to put in a case for getting flash glucose monitoring? This technology does not require a finger prick test at all, so is ideal for someone with reduced dexterity. Rather than fiddle with blood drops, strips and docks, it involves swiping a reader over a sensor. The screen is also large so is useful for anyone with eyesight issues.

Alternatively, you can look at all available BG meters here - https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/collections/information-for-you/products/meds-and-kits
Something like the Accu-Chek mobile - which has a cassette of rotating strips, rather than individual strips so this reduces the amount of time you would need to insert a strip to a dock. Also, if you look at page 8-9 of the Meds & Kit guide (above) you can see which monitors have larger screens, and so would be easier to read.

Hopefully someone with first-hand experience will be along shortly and can offer some more insight :)

Thanks, Hannah. Flash sounds wondeful! She lives in Lancaster, has had insulin-dependent diabetes for ~30 years.

You can view our 'Flash Map' with the various policies across areas of the UK. Even if her local CCG do not currently provide it on the NHS though, it would be worth putting forward a case for it, as she is insulin dependent and having difficulty testing her own BG levels.

There are a few members here who use Flash, some of whom have it through the NHS. It is certainly worth exploring the option.

Hi @William_231 , welcome to the forum. Please don’t get me wrong as I love my Libre (flash glucose monitor) I have said many times, if anyone tried to take mine off me their would be blood and it wouldn’t be mine ! they give so much more info than a finger prick sample ever does. However their are a few drawbacks. Because they are sampling different fluids their is usually a 10+ minute lag behind a blood glucose monitor, because of this it’s unwise to use them to treat a hypo as your likely to well overshoot.
Some sensors are far less accurate than others, though Abbott is very good at replacing them. And for a few people they are never accurate enough esp for insulin users.
Driving, I know this may not apply to your mum but thought I would put it here for driving regulations atm the DVLA does not accept flash monitoring, they require blood sampling

I don’t know if these people can help www.rnib.org.uk you find suitable glucose meters

Last edited:
Back