Easy diabetic meal planner cook books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've just been diagnosed with type 2. I'm overwhelmed with all the information on the web about blood sugar levels, carbs, and fats. Don't know if I've got the things to watch. I need a book/books that explain simply what food I should be eating and also meal plans. Anything to get my head round being diabetic. Thanks, Jtee x

Hi @jtee 🙂 There’s some basic information and meal plans here to start you off:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/meal-plans

Diabetes U.K. also has some recipes, which have nutritional info on them:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/meal-plans

There are various diets you can try, but most have similar principles - ie reduce carbs (all carbs not just sweet ones) and increase green veg and salad, and maybe protein and healthy fats too.

There are various cookbooks you might like but it depends on things like whether you have weight to lose, if you’re vegetarian, etc. Why not get a few from the library and see which ones appeal? Here’s a couple you could look at to start you off:

The Pinch of Nom books
And
Caldesi

Hi I've just been diagnosed with type 2. I'm overwhelmed with all the information on the web about blood sugar levels, carbs, and fats. Don't know if I've got the things to watch. I need a book/books that explain simply what food I should be eating and also meal plans. Anything to get my head round being diabetic. Thanks, Jtee x

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Jtee. Managing type 2 diabetes can initially feel overwhelming, but with the right resources and support, you can develop a clear understanding of how to manage your condition and lead a healthy life.

Here are some recommended books that are written to help people understand and manage type 2 diabetes, especially when it comes to diet and meal planning:

1. "The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally" by Dr. Jason Fung
    • Dr. Fung provides a comprehensive overview of the science behind type 2 diabetes and offers practical advice on how to prevent and reverse the disease through dietary changes.
  2. "Diabetic Living Diabetes Meals by the Plate: 90 Low-Carb Meals to Mix & Match" by Diabetic Living Editors
    • This book provides a visual guide to creating balanced meals with a focus on portion control. It offers 90 mix-and-match meals that are designed to be both tasty and diabetes-friendly.
  3. "The Type 2 Diabetic Cookbook & Action Plan: A Three-Month Kickstart Guide for Living Well with Type 2 Diabetes" by Martha McKittrick RD and Michelle Anderson
    • This book offers a combination of actionable advice, meal plans, and recipes to help you manage your diabetes effectively.
  4. "Eat What You Love Diabetes Cookbook: Comforting, Balanced Meals" by Lori Zanini RD, CDE
    • Lori Zanini, a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator, provides delicious and balanced recipes that are tailored for people with type 2 diabetes.
  5. "The Complete Diabetes Cookbook: The Healthy Way to Eat the Foods You Love" by America's Test Kitchen
    • This cookbook offers a wide range of recipes that are both delicious and suitable for those with diabetes. It also provides guidance on how to plan meals and make healthy food choices.
  6. "Diabetes Meal Planning and Nutrition For Dummies" by Toby Smithson and Alan L. Rubin
    • This is a comprehensive guide that breaks down the complexities of diabetes meal planning into easy-to-understand terms. It offers practical advice, sample meal plans, and recipes.
Remember, while these books provide valuable information, it's essential to work closely with your healthcare team, including a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes, to create a personalized plan that meets your specific needs.

Lastly, joining a support group or community, whether online or offline, can be beneficial. Sharing experiences and learning from others in similar situations can provide emotional support and practical tips.

Take things one step at a time, and remember that every positive change you make can have a significant impact on your health. Best wishes on your journey to understanding and managing your diabetes!

Hello @jtee. You might find a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution is of some help.
I think the last edition was in 2003 - it should be available for pennies there were so many sold.
There are lists of foods, menus, eating plans, recipes, advice and encouragement plus reports of successes - I still keep a couple of copies to hand as a sort of talisman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back