East Ham indoor barbecue-clothes-drying poisons six people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A fire chief has criticised a woman who used a barbecue indoors to dry clothes that led to six people, including her grandchildren, being taken to hospital.

Two adults and four children in East Ham, east London, had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, London Fire Brigade (LFB) said.

London Ambulance Service (LAS) was called on Wednesday at about 16:20 GMT.

Fire brigade head, Dave Brown, said it was the first incident of its kind he had seen in 28 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20911373

😱

From memory, the Bransgore incident wasn't exactly as reported there, my understanding was the barbecue had been used earlier in the evening but the charcoal was still warm, the campers were concerned that some animal would knock it over in the night and wake the site up, burn themselves and die a nasty death and the heat from it inside the tent was just a bonus. Rather than them doing it to keep the tent warm in the first place, IYSWIM.

Still tragic consequences though.

Mind you we all do things we shouldn't, when it turns cold, esp when we've been away and the heating hasn't been on, so we come home to a thoroughly cold house I have to say not having a leccy blanket we can very quickly air our bed by holding up one corner of the duvet and directing my 2000 watt hairdrier down the bed - the gust from it actually lifts the duvet it's that strong on full blast! Obviously we don't let go of the lifted corner EVER but I could imagine someone doing that (I'll just let go and take my socks off, it won't hurt for a few seconds ....) covering the air intake end and oops, set the bed on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back