Early Warning signs of a Hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I used to start feeling funny at aroun 5 when I was going hypo so could quickly correct things. Now, many years later, I can get down to 4-3 and get no warning signs.

Is there any way of getting the warning signs back up?

I used to start feeling funny at aroun 5 when I was going hypo so could quickly correct things. Now, many years later, I can get down to 4-3 and get no warning signs.

As 5 is not hypo, you shouldn't be getting warning signs at that level unless a very sudden drop or always running high so 5 feels low.
3.9 is hypo land.

Mmmm, Sue - for donkeys years even after I went onto MDI I had my very first hypo symptoms (ie the feeling I had sweat beading between my nose and upper lip but no actual sweat) at around that level but gradually as I've aged that's disappeared for me too. I agree it's unnecessarily high high though, and that running just a tad higher for a couple of months always brought em back so tells me 'that's that sorted again then'. Hence once I have em back just have to wean in the tighter control again, but all 'slowly, slowly catchee monkey!' style.

I've never really had hypo symptoms...lowest i've been is 2.9 and i did feel a bit panicy then, but only after i saw the read out was 2.9.
I tend to spend most of my time in the 5 and 6s

4.3 isn’t hypo, so it’s normal to feel fine at that level

4.3 isn’t hypo, so it’s normal to feel fine at that level
Dunno, but i think they may have meant 4 - 3 (between 4 and 3) rather than 4.3

It can be that as time goes by you start to lose hypo signs. If you drive this can lead you to losing your licence since it is essential that you can spot the signs of a hypo if it comes on whilst you are driving.

If you are below 4 and not noticing you are right to want to get the warning signs back. You can do this by running a bit higher for a while and it reeducates your body. On a pump and/or in a bolus calculator you would need to set your target level higher. This is something you need to talk to your DSN about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back