DWP to restore benefits of disabled woman it called 'lying bitch'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has offered to restore the full benefits of a claimant whom it called a “lying bitch” in legal papers after she appealed against a decision to strip her of some of her disability entitlements.

The DWP has apologised to the woman and, following outrage when it emerged the insult had been inserted into appeal tribunal papers, has said it no longer plans to cut her Personal Independence Payment (PIP) entitlement.
It also said she would be considered for a “consolatory payment”, issued in exceptional cases where departmental action had resulted in claimants suffering “gross embarrassment, humiliation, unnecessary personal intrusion and … severe distress”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...efits-of-disabled-woman-it-called-lying-bitch

:(

This sort of thing has only happened since the government forced the DWP to use private firms for assessment purposes. In the good old days assessments were done ‘in house’, and appeals were rare. Now they are the norm. I have no complaint at all about my assessments in Scotland, but I dread 2021 when my next assessment will be done in England. There’s an utterly different mindset.

And to call anyone a lying bitch is unforgivable, and so unprofessional as to merit dismissal.

This sort of thing has only happened since the government forced the DWP to use private firms for assessment purposes. In the good old days assessments were done ‘in house’, and appeals were rare. Now they are the norm. I have no complaint at all about my assessments in Scotland, but I dread 2021 when my next assessment will be done in England. There’s an utterly different mindset.

And to call anyone a lying bitch is unforgivable, and so unprofessional as to merit dismissal.
I think it is outrageous that we are paying private companies who are failing so much that 70% of appeals pass in the claimant's favour :( And what sort of mindset does it suggest when such an epithet even entered the mind of the person writing that, let alone to commit it to a legal document :(

Without any assessment being done my daughter in law was told she no longer qualified for benefits including a mobility car as she had recovered the ability to walk.
After going through all the trouble of an appeal, of having to find the money to pay for the use of the car, juggling their finances for months they were repaid all the money they ought to have had - but it must have wasted lots of time and money for other people as well as my family.

Without any assessment being done my daughter in law was told she no longer qualified for benefits including a mobility car as she had recovered the ability to walk.
After going through all the trouble of an appeal, of having to find the money to pay for the use of the car, juggling their finances for months they were repaid all the money they ought to have had - but it must have wasted lots of time and money for other people as well as my family.
It strikes me it's always been a deliberate policy, like all the other hoops that people have to go through to get their benefits (including the horrendous application of draconian sanctions). Trying to dissuade as many people as possible from even trying :(

I'm glad to hear your DIL finally got what she was due all along.

Thanks, Northerner.
With my son the full time carer for his wife and children it was a very worrying time.

Love to know the job criteria working for the dwp, anyone with a ounce of compassion need not apply.

The idiot who wrote that, no one knows what's around the corner waiting for them, they better hope that they don't find themselves in ill health one day and have a decision maker like themself overseeing their claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back