DVLA licence revoked having completed form DIAB1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazdazdaz

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi,
My mother-in-law, newly taking INSULIN but no history of HYPO's) recently completed form DIAB1 and received a letter stating her licence had been revoked. Apparently there's no further information in the letter that outlines the process (or timeline) to get the licence reinstated or exactly why it's been revoked. In terms of completing the form all of the responses were 'positive' in as much as she has no history or any Hypo's, no special needs, no special adaptions to car etc etc. Our expectation was she would retain the licence whilst any necessary medical checks were completed. It's come as a surprise that she's actually had the licence revoked.

Does any one have any experience of the above or any ideas on how long it may take to get her licence back?

Thanks in advance
Daz

Hi,
My mother-in-law, newly taking INSULIN but no history of HYPO's) recently completed form DIAB1 and received a letter stating her licence had been revoked. Apparently there's no further information in the letter that outlines the process (or timeline) to get the licence reinstated or exactly why it's been revoked. In terms of completing the form all of the responses were 'positive' in as much as she has no history or any Hypo's, no special needs, no special adaptions to car etc etc. Our expectation was she would retain the licence whilst any necessary medical checks were completed. It's come as a surprise that she's actually had the licence revoked.

Does any one have any experience of the above or any ideas on how long it may take to get her licence back?

Thanks in advance
Daz
The DIAB1 form is a nightmare. It often hinges on how you filled in the bit about hypos. If your Motherr in law has never had a hypo, for example, so put no, she doesn’t recognise hypo symptoms, that’s an automatic revocation because it is assumed that by ticking that box, you don’t recognise them when you’re actually having one.
It may be something else though.
Your best step forward would probably be to ring the DUK helpline on Tuesday when they reopen after the bank hol. They have people well versed in these wretched forms, who can go through exactly what you put, and see if there’s a reason they can see why it was revoked.
It’s not normally revoked, and you can carry on driving, (unless your doctor has said to stop) while you are waiting for the 3 yr licence to be issued.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your MIL's situation.

Like @Robin I suspect it is the section on hypos which is where she has come unstuck. It is badly worded and confusing and she will not be the first person, nor the last to misinterpret it and fill it in wrong.
Ordinarily you can continue to drive until you get your 3 year licence but if her licence has now been revoked I am not sure that she can legally drive until the matter is resolved. I agree that contacting the DUK helpline at the top right of this page on Tues should provide guidance on what you can do to sort the matter out.

Perhaps it has something to do with not having 3 mths worth of blood sugar results or did your MIL state she had no hypos?
If she did that then they automatically assume that there is no hypo awareness thus no licence.
As it has been revoked then your MIL must not drive until the licence is reinstated.

Missed that bit. I've been waiting 7 mths for the return of my licence and have just sent of a 2nd gentle reminder to the complaints team.

Terrible shame the lady didn't ask us before now - we've all filled the form in so many times over the years, we could have advised her on what NOT to say.

And I concur that it would now be quite illegal for her to drive - until they get it sorted for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back