• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Take a look at our new Type 2 Diabetes Remission section on the Diabetes UK website: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission

Dulaglutide

goozer321

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I'm 60, diagnosed Type 2 c.5 yrs ago, controlled by medication - I had a stroke c. 3 years ago which they reckon was caused by a Hole in the Heart: this has been fixed by insertion of a filter device. Soon after the stroke, as part of the investigations, I was diagnosed Radiculopathy - this means my legs become very sore and wobbly if I walk more than c. 5,000 steps in a day and I consequently started to put on weight after the stroke. My post stroke balance is 95% restored, but if combined with wobbly legs my balance can be a bit hairy and I have fallen over. Prior to the Radiculopathy I exercised regularly and was of average weight. 2 years ago I was prescribed Dulaglutin and my weight, and blood sugar, having increased, reduced to normal levels. I moved house 6 months ago and the new surgery wouldn't continue the Dulaglutin - my weight has ballooned and my last HbA1 was 60. I have embarked on a low carb diet for the last 2 months or so and my weight has stabilised but not reduced. I await my next HbA1.

My question - is there a private way to get a Dulaglutin on prescription that won't cost me an arm or a leg or leave me vulnerable to scammers? Thanks

Hi

I'm 60, diagnosed Type 2 c.5 yrs ago, controlled by medication - I had a stroke c. 3 years ago which they reckon was caused by a Hole in the Heart: this has been fixed by insertion of a filter device. Soon after the stroke, as part of the investigations, I was diagnosed Radiculopathy - this means my legs become very sore and wobbly if I walk more than c. 5,000 steps in a day and I consequently started to put on weight after the stroke. My post stroke balance is 95% restored, but if combined with wobbly legs my balance can be a bit hairy and I have fallen over. Prior to the Radiculopathy I exercised regularly and was of average weight. 2 years ago I was prescribed Dulaglutin and my weight, and blood sugar, having increased, reduced to normal levels. I moved house 6 months ago and the new surgery wouldn't continue the Dulaglutin - my weight has ballooned and my last HbA1 was 60. I have embarked on a low carb diet for the last 2 months or so and my weight has stabilised but not reduced. I await my next HbA1.

My question - is there a private way to get a Dulaglutin on prescription that won't cost me an arm or a leg or leave me vulnerable to scammers? Thanks
Have they explained why they will no longer prescribe it, there may be equivalent alternatives. If you have moved to a different health authority area the specific medication may not be on their prescribing list but alternatives may be.

Sorry to hear about the difficulty you have been having with prescriptions for dulaglutide.

It would be worth asking your new surgery about their reasons for refusal, especially since it was a medication you were already on, so you weren’t starting on it.

There have been some supply challenges with this class of medication over the past year or so see

Such that I think Drs have been asked not to start new patients on it. There may be other alternatives in the same class or meds that may be suitable?

Perhaps it might be helpful to call the Diabetes UK Helpline (the number is at the top this page). The helpline is open 9-6 Mon-Fri.

Back