DUK information for people affected by flight disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Northerner, I have just passed this onto the other forum as there is a family stuck over in Florida with a young child who is type 1 and they are running out of insulin - apparently its 700 dollars for one vial.😱🙂Bev

Thanks Northerner, I have just passed this onto the other forum as there is a family stuck over in Florida with a young child who is type 1 and they are running out of insulin - apparently its 700 dollars for one vial.😱🙂Bev

Yes, I've just had a conversation on another group about the huge cost of supplies in the US. I heard that 5 cartridges of novorapid was over $100. For such a rich and advanced country, it is a disgrace that there are people who have to go begging at the ER for insulin because they don't have insurance. Anyway, that's another topic! The supplies are so expensive because they are normally paid for by the insurance companies, who in turn charge huge premiums to their clients.

Good news - the American branch of CWD (children with diabetes - the other forum I am on) have contacted the family and are trying to get them some supplies. It must be very worrying for the family.:(🙂Bev

If you have holiday insurance then surely you can go to a DR there and get a prescription for insulin/medication? Rather than having to buy it.
Hope everyone who needs supplies can get hold of them.

For some reason the family aren't covered on their insurance - not sure what they took out... Have spoken to the mum and they have now got some insulin from a US family. She is very relieved as you can imagine 🙂 It's amazing how the CWD network has kicked in. The family aren't on UK CWD but i passed on her details to someone on the US CWD and they have helped the family out. Fantastic and restores faith in human nature 🙂

Glad to hear that they managed to get some. Talking about insurance, usually your insurance will cover you for illness effected by diabetes but most don't cover for loss of insulin or in this case running out. They will help you get supplies but won't pay for them. They rarely tell you that and until it happens to you, you prob think its all covered. I read it in my very very small print and phoned about it. I called loads of other companies and most were the same. My insurance for my recent holiday was with sainsburys.

For some reason the family aren't covered on their insurance - not sure what they took out... Have spoken to the mum and they have now got some insulin from a US family. She is very relieved as you can imagine 🙂 It's amazing how the CWD network has kicked in. The family aren't on UK CWD but i passed on her details to someone on the US CWD and they have helped the family out. Fantastic and restores faith in human nature 🙂

Wow- thats some networking! A lovely story actually (aside from the situation they find themselves in of course) but well done for being able to link them like that. Its scary how dependant we are on others isnt it? x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back