Duff Accu-chek Test Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cslack

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Last September I had a tub of accu-chek test strips where half of them failed - they didn't draw up the blood into the capillary. I took them back to the pharmacy and they replaced the tub and all was fine. The next few tubs were also fine.
Yesterday I opened up a new one and the same things happened. So not an isolated incident. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems the blood goes up about halfway but there's something that stops it before it gets to the top. Appears to be a physical barrier (defect in manufacturing).

Yesterday I opened up a new one and the same things happened. So not an isolated incident. Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't, and I don't remember any news stories about it (as there were last year about some batches not giving the right readings). I suggest asking a DSN and seeing what they say (I suspect they're most likely to have heard of it). (I wonder if it's not the test strips so much as your blood, and your DSN might have suggestions on what that might be. Or maybe you're just not using quite enough blood (though those test strips require a tiny amount so that doesn't seem likely).)

Ring Roche Helpline - if it's another duff whole batch it will need a recall. If you don't tell them they can't warn anyone else.

Could you also post the batch number on here please in case any of us have any?

I had 1 out of a pot last week that couldn't get enough blood but that's it

@Flutterby did have a problem with strips the other month, I'd definitely get in touch with Roche and post the batch number here too as trophywench has suggested xx

Yes - I've always had the odd duff strip occasionally, ever since they invented them - sometimes more than one - but never enough to raise an issue.

Just had a look for the thread and Flutterby's affected ones were batch # 498287 and expiry was 11/2020 xx

Hi everyone. Thanks for replying. Yes I should have posted the batch details. Numbers on the pot are:
Batch #498287. Exp 2020-11-30 - so yes, same number as Flutterby's which is a bit worrying.
I've had the occasional failed strip in the past but this seems to be 4 out of 5 are bad.
I contacted Roche this lunchtime through their online form giving them all the details. No reply as yet.

A bit of bad form to reply to my own reply so sorry about this but I've just gone back through my records for my old test strips back in September when I first noticed this problem.
The tub was batch #498287.
So seems to be a problem with the batch. Does anybody know how to esculate this to get a recall? Roche seems to be quite indifferent about it.

Give em a chance - on the basis that you should have other strips to use - it's presumably not a medical emergency?

You only contacted them on Friday via online form and they aren't open weekends so they still technically have until lunchtime Tuesday to respond to your query, it would've been quicker phoning them to report an issue

I had this, this morning as you can see there is plenty of blood on the strip but completely different batch to what you've been having issues with, I only opened these the other day and its the 1st bad one but will be wary of the rest
20191124_060730.jpg

@Bruce Stephens - Thanks, that was a very good idea. Just done that online. I thought Yellow Card system was only for declaring bad side effects/reactions to medication but there's a section on there to declare defective equipment (learn something new everyday!)
@trophywench, wasn't actually expecting a full blown reply just yet but thought I would at get an automated reply acknowledging receipt. And yes, do have another pot with different batch number that are working just fine.

Quick update: I phoned Roche Careline (the reply from the online form was simply to phone them!) They seemed genuinely concerned about the situation. They sent me a replacement tub of 50 strips and also a pre-paid return bag so I can send back the old strips so they can examine them.
Actually very impressed with their response.

This was my first post on the forum so thank you for everyone for help and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back