Duck a l'orange (not low-carb, but what the heck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert@fm

Much missed member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This recipe was inspired by one of the meals I got from Hello Fresh back in the summer. One problem with Hello Fresh is that although they try to devise their recipes to be 'simple', what's 'simple' for them may not be 'simple' for those of us without their wealth of experience and arsenal of chef's equipment. So I searched on line for a truly simple recipe, but the one I found was still a bit too elaborate (it required Grand Marnier, which I would never otherwise use, and also involved slicing an orange). So I devised my own version.

Ingredients
  • 2 duck breasts (approx. 200g each)
  • 3 tins mandarin orange segments in juice (approx. 300g undrained weight each)
  • 1 orange (optional)
  • oil for frying
  • salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • orange liqueur (Grand Marnier, Southern Comfort or whatever, optional)
  • 100ml whipping cream
  • 100ml orange juice (from the mandarin segments or elsewhere)
  • 1 teaspoon chicken stock 1 chicken stock pot
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preparation method

1. Score the fat of the duck breasts in a diamond pattern. Fry skin-side down for 8 minutes or until golden, then turn over (optional: just after doing so, pour 25ml of orange liqueur over each) and fry for another 5 minutes.
  2. (optional) Grate the zest from the orange.
  3. When the duck is cooked, remove it (and any burnt crispy bits) from the pan but leave the duck fat. To this add the cream, the orange juice, the chicken stock and the vinegar. Mix thoroughly, cook for 5 minutes, then add the zest (if used) and the orange segments. Optionally add 50ml of orange liqueur. Season to taste.
  4. Slice the duck breasts, mix them into the sauce, and serve.

Last edited:
LOL - I think it could possibly look nicer Robert if you placed the sliced duck breasts on the plates, and poured the sauce over the slices - otherwise it'll be inclined to just resemble expensive stew!

I think we might have a drop of fairly elderly GM at the back of the sideboard cupboard. I defo feel a Duck a l'orange coming on !

PS is a teaspoon of chicken stock correct? Doesn't sound right? Why would you bother with it!

Hmm, I've never put cream in my a l'orange sauce before. I'll have to give that some thought. I does sound good though and I think we may have an exceedingly dusty bottle of GM somewhere as well.

LOL - I have been known to drink quite a lot of it at times. Easier to get down than most straight brandies, and not too mega sweet. But I like most orangey stuff, as long as the acidity isn't totally absent.

Thinking about it - no - I wouldn't have thought of cream as an ingredient, don't think I will ever have had a cream, orange sauce on it? Usually flambéed when eating it out and done properly at table.

The mention of duck a l'orange just reminds me of this: :D

"Duck with orange; duck with cherries; duck surprise"

"What's duck surprise?"

"Er......that's duck without orange or cherries"

The "1 teaspoon chicken stock" was a mistake; it should have read "1 chicken stock pot" (those little ones sold by Knorr or Tesco, about 1-2 tbsp but very concentrated). Now corrected.

The original recipe (from which I adapted this one) called for 200ml of cream for 2 duck breasts. 😱 Even before trying it I felt that this was excessive, and so cut down the amount; it turned out I was right.

I have actually made this recipe and it's delicious. Although, come to think of it, the alternate serving suggestion of placing the duck slices on the plate and pouring the sauce over them, might work better; I think I'll try it that way when I make this on Christmas Day (using Southern Comfort this time, not GM as I did for my first attempt). 🙂

Mmm, Southern Comfort is corn whisky based Robert, whereas GM is brandy based. I'm not actually sure to be honest that it would be a good match for the dish? Grain,instead of Grape you see ......

I'll have a word with Madam (eldest daughter - old enough to have her own grandkids - classically trained chef !) - she knows about such things much better than me!

I'm relieved about the stock! LOL

Well, after I had made first the version of the recipe I downloaded (to check the difficulty and taste) and, a week or so later, my modified version, I used up the Grand Marnier i had bought for the purpose by making alcoholic St. Clementses, and to me they tasted the same as they do when I use Southern Comfort; so hopefully the same will be true of this recipe. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back