DSNs

Status
Not open for further replies.

margie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was wondering how long you think is reasonable to wait for an e-mail response from a DSN.

I saw a DSN early Feb - and she said if she didn't hear from me in 2 weeks she would call. I was to do some 3am testing.

Then I ran into trouble getting test strips (don't ask). When I got some I e-mailed and said I would send some figures in the next week.
On one night I decided to try every hour or so and the figures were somewhat erratic. From a high start Drop 8 increase 3 drop 4 stay same increase 2 possibly a problem with insulin absorption but I have no lumps.

I sent the figures on 22nd Feb and still have had no answer. Oh I did send other figures not just that evenings. I sent another message today I am not holding my breath.

Has any one else had to wait so long for a reply ?

No that is ridiculous. We get a response within 24 hours but normally the same day. You should not be waiting that long. I would email again, forward the first email and say 'I imagine this one got lost somewhere so thought I would send it again.......'

I email my team regularly, its easier with 2 lots of levels, i scan the pages and email with the relevant food info etc... I always get a reply the same day if not the next, usually i get a call first though, are you sure you have the email addy right? when i send my levels over i send to my DSN and the childrens community nurse (incase dsn is off work for some reason) then that way the nurse will talk to the Dr and apply any changes etc... x

Sounds like a long time when others get a quick reply. I saw the DSN once in 4 years and that was it, so be persistent and keep up the contact until you get a reply.

Thankyou for the replies. I had been wondering whether the delay was normal. However, the replies so far suggest otherwise.

The e-mail address is correct I got an out of office reply to the first message saying they would be back that day.

I think part of the problem may be the way that the clinic works in that they allocate you a DSN at a clinic - then if at a future clinic you may see a different DSN so I suspect that some have a higher case load than others.

I am trying to get to grips with my basal level of insulin and each time I see a different nurse they reverse the previous ones decision. I think that there may be a problem with absorption and possibly some other hormonal interaction going on. I have downloaded the software for my meter and hopefully I will get the cable today - that way at least I can try and see any trends myself. One of the previous DSNs said they could not make head nor tail of my levels - which again leads me to think something else may be going on.

Thanks everyone

I was wondering how long you think is reasonable to wait for an e-mail response from a DSN.

About 10 minutes ? ( or 2 hours if she is out of the Office.) A basic response saying she has recieved it and is dealing with it would suffice to start with.

I wonder if she is away or odd sick, or having computer problems. If you don't get a response then give them a call.

I usually get an email back within 48 hours, same with phone calls.

I think overnight tetsing works better when you don't test every hour overnight, because you are upsetting the bodies rythmn and it's not what would normally be happening overnight. So just wondering if thats why the levels were up and down. It might be worth asking to use their CGMS as that will give you some good overnight data to work with.

Thanks Nikki

If have just sent another e-mail. I will call if I haven't heard anything early next week as there is no one available weekend or evenings.

I had a thought that she might be trying to call me on a number I had at work several years ago as I remembered that had happened once before a few years back. I don't know why she tried that number as the place I worked had closed down but there is a chance it is still on her notes - they use their own and not the hospitals.

Strangely the last few mornings I have had reasonable values but overnight can be quite odd, it can fall or rise by up to 8 points.

I think a CGMS may be the way forward as I just seem to get oscillating advice which is very frustrating - but it may be a fight as when I did the carb counting course they said that the hospital didn't like to lend it out because of the cost - maybe they have updated their position. I will ask when I get to speak to someone.

That seems odd I wouldn't have thought the sensors for the CGMS were that expensive, I'll try and find out next week. Even if they are then I think it's worth it if it helps.

What basal insulin are you on? Is is lantus or levemir?

I'm sure it's difficult for the DSN's and yourself, is it possible to only have contact with one person when trying to to sort out a particular problem?

I am on lantus.

It would make more sense to stick to a DSN. Though if you attend clinic you get seen by whoever is on then and whoever you saw previously seems to drop you.

They all seem to have quite different experience. There is one who assesses people for pumps, one who gives the CHO course - though she couldn't answer some questions which I worked out the answer to as the course progressed. Then there are some others who don't seem to know anything about CHO counting - just recommend meals with similar amounts of carbs. Its all quite hit an miss. Some days they are in clinic and some days on the wards.

I will endeavour to contact someone one way or another on Monday.

That seems odd I wouldn't have thought the sensors for the CGMS were that expensive, I'll try and find out next week. Even if they are then I think it's worth it if it helps.

What basal insulin are you on? Is is lantus or levemir?

I'm sure it's difficult for the DSN's and yourself, is it possible to only have contact with one person when trying to to sort out a particular problem?

The sensors are about ?40 each which is expensive, they are only about ?15 in Canada !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back