Drs. receptionists

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJardine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had a problem with my repeat prescriptions recently.

My surgery allows me to order repeats over the internet. Twice out of the last three times I've ordered Lantus, they have given me lacets! I could understand if they had misheard me over the telephone, or not bee able to understand my handwriting, but not when they read it from off a computer screen. The Lantus comes before the lacets on my repeat form as well, so I would think it would be easier to get it the other way around.

I've now got about 500 lancets sitting in the house, and I've had to take two afternoons off in order to visit the drs and get the prescription sorted out.

Sorry, rant over for today 🙂

it is a pain when the receptionist gets it wrong. It is easier to read something printed or something from a computer screen than hand writing especially if it belongs to some one whose brain works fater than their hand and it comes out a jumble. LANTUS LANCET, no the words are similar but not identical, so no excuse for mistake.

I hope you got the prescriptions sorted out. As for the lancets, we also have other uses for them. Because they are clean the first aider at work sometimes 'borrows' a couple for remocing splinters and the like. Apparently the nice sharp point does least damage.

Is there an option to do prescriptions via email? What alternatives are available at your surgery?

Why did you go to the chemist and get the lancets? If I was handed an incorrect prescription, I would ask the receptionist to securely dispose of it and print me a new correct one while I waited.

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with the receptionists not ordering your prescription properly.

What alternatives to the surgery offer? Would it be possible for your chemist to re-order for you and you to collect direct from them?
This is what Boots do for Nathan...its a brilliant facility, service to have

Heidi
🙂

What I do is pick the script up from my GP surgery so i can check it over before I leave. If it's wrong then I will point it out to the receptionist and get them to grab the next avaliable Dr to print correct script out. happened before when they prescribed ketone instead of blood test strips.

I also like to go to different pharmacies, they all seem keen to get me onto this repeat ordering system thing. heidi how do they know when you need more insulin or test strips for example? I can see it would be easy if someone took x tablet once a day then they would easily know when the supply would be up.

Don't get me started on this subject...........

Our scripts are handed in at the GP by me and two working days later I can collect from the chemist. Fabulous except that over 50% of the scripts are wrong so I have to walk back up to the dr's get it sorted, sit whilst they wait for a signature and walk back down to the chemist.

Today I went to the chemist to collect and they hadn't even had it. I walked up to the dr's and they eventually found it and blamed it on the chemist !! When I checked it they had the wrong insulin once more. They get this wrong every time. They prescribe 5 x 3ml cartridges of novorapid penfill. We want 5 x 10 ml vial of novorapid. What they told me was that apparently the items and there are lots on the computer, are so very similar with one digit difference that it is not their fault !!!!!!! Surely the words cartridge and vial are not very similar.

I get so sick of it.

Our scripts are handed in at the GP by me and two working days later I can collect from the chemist. Fabulous except that over 50% of the scripts are wrong so I have to walk back up to the dr's get it sorted, sit whilst they wait for a signature and walk back down to the chemist.

Today I went to the chemist to collect and they hadn't even had it. I walked up to the dr's and they eventually found it and blamed it on the chemist !! When I checked it they had the wrong insulin once more. They get this wrong every time. They prescribe 5 x 3ml cartridges of novorapid penfill. We want 5 x 10 ml vial of novorapid. What they told me was that apparently the items and there are lots on the computer, are so very similar with one digit difference that it is not their fault !!!!!!! Surely the words cartridge and vial are not very similar.

I get so sick of it.

It is their fault if they don't pick the right one from the list - what a cr*p excuse! I could read when I was 3!😱

Yep I totally agree Northerner. I just stood there and said nothing. I'm done fighting today !

I am fighting Chessington World of Adventures at the moment and DUK again !!! Whole other ball game, the GP's can wait.

...I am fighting Chessington World of Adventures at the moment and DUK again !!! Whole other ball game, the GP's can wait.

Goodness! Is that a title fight! Will Harry Carpenter be commentating? Hope you win!🙂

It needs to be really - the headline would be 'hundreds of angry mums of children with type 1 v DUK with Chessington World of Adventures as the third party. 🙂

bain of my life receptionists arghhhhhhhhh

Surely they know what your GP has put you down for on repeat?

This is just sloppy administration, but it will also be a case of someone probably reading off one screen and then selecting from your list of repeat drugs what it is you want.

The assume the first few letters and a couple more are the same, so good enough. Of course to assume is to make an 'ass-u-me'

They are a law unto themselves medical receptionists, they simply don't understand that they are messing with peoples lives, in some cases life or death.

Is there actually a qualification to be a GP receptionist or is it just the skill to annoy as many people as you can?

What I do is pick the script up from my GP surgery so i can check it over before I leave. If it's wrong then I will point it out to the receptionist and get them to grab the next avaliable Dr to print correct script out. happened before when they prescribed ketone instead of blood test strips.

I also like to go to different pharmacies, they all seem keen to get me onto this repeat ordering system thing. heidi how do they know when you need more insulin or test strips for example? I can see it would be easy if someone took x tablet once a day then they would easily know when the supply would be up.

I use the repeat ordering system as find it really hard to get to the doctors with working hours etc. I ring my pharmacy (who have my repeat prescription ordering thingamabobby) and tell them what I need, they then take it to the doctors, pick it up when it's ready and then I go to the pharmacy to pick up my waiting prescription. My pharmacy and GP are VERY good, and I can't complain. Always there on time. I did work at the pharmacy for a few years though and my GP is diabetic so is very good about providing prescriptions, but I'd like to think the service I get is the same as everyone else. Well. Actually I know it is, because I worked as their deliver driver for a while and the woman I was covering does a fab job 🙂

I get so sick of it.

It's such a shame that other people aren't so lucky. It's be nice if there really was the same efficient service everywhere.

I use the repeat system, through lloyds pharmacy and let me tell you they are the most useless bunch of...idiots...i have ever seen. They frequently lose my prescription or get my name wrong or get wrong amounts. Plus, their opening hours are stupid and urgh. Tomorrow they're only open til midday which is annoying

Is there an option to do prescriptions via email? What alternatives are available at your surgery?

Why did you go to the chemist and get the lancets? If I was handed an incorrect prescription, I would ask the receptionist to securely dispose of it and print me a new correct one while I waited.
I order online then it gets delivered direct to the chemist, so I only have to pick it up.
They won't take repeat orders on the phone 'as it causes confusion' lol.

As I work out in the middle of nowhere, I can't get to the drs unless I have an appointment, so ordering online and collecting from the chemist on a Saturday usually works well. I've done it that way for years, it's only recently they seem to be messing it up.

I shall jusr complain to my GP next time I see her. She will probably get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back