Dropping levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummyange

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone tell me why when my son has the same thing to eat everyday and injects the same how his levels can change? At the moment he is having his dinner, his levels were at 9 when he injected and as he is eating his levels are dropping quickly! Is this normal?

Does he literally have the same thing or do you mean roughly the same? I replied on your other thread - is he actually carb counting? Has he done a basal test?

How far in advance of eating did he inject his bolus insulin?

Can anyone tell me why when my son has the same thing to eat everyday and injects the same how his levels can change? At the moment he is having his dinner, his levels were at 9 when he injected and as he is eating his levels are dropping quickly! Is this normal?
Could he have injected for his lunch within a 5 hour period for dinner? Does he use Novorapid?

Our BG is affected by far more than what we eat.
Was he stressed? Had he done more or less exercise in the last 48 hours? Is he coming down with a cold?
And is there a problem with his BG coming down from 9 as long as he doesn't hypo?

Does he literally have the same thing or do you mean roughly the same? I replied on your other thread - is he actually carb counting? Has he done a basal test?

How far in advance of eating did he inject his bolus insulin?

At the moment he has been eating literally the same thing for the past 2 weeks which is worrying but there is no talking to him! He injected about 10 mins before he started eating.

Our BG is affected by far more than what we eat.
Was he stressed? Had he done more or less exercise in the last 48 hours? Is he coming down with a cold?
And is there a problem with his BG coming down from 9 as long as he doesn't hypo?
He feels more comfortable when his BG levels are at about 10/11 so when they drop under that he starts to panic and not feel good. He says he feels terrible like something is seriously wrong!

At the moment he has been eating literally the same thing for the past 2 weeks which is worrying but there is no talking to him! He injected about 10 mins before he started eating.

Ok, presuming his insulin dose is correct, then it might be he doesn’t need to inject that far in advance for his evening meal. I can inject practically right before eating for my evening meal. He could try injecting 5 mins in advance if it keeps happening.

He feels more comfortable when his BG levels are at about 10/11 so when they drop under that he starts to panic and not feel good. He says he feels terrible like something is seriously wrong!

As you say, a lot of this sounds like anxiety, but swinging blood sugars can cause a feeling of panic - not a mental thing, an actual unpleasant physical feeling. If that’s the case, smoothing thing out will help a bit.

With him eating the same thing for two weeks, does sound like he needs psychological support. Personally, I’d be tempted to pay for some counselling if you can afford it, just to help while you wait. Sometimes it can help sort out the worries and fear in your head and make them a bit easier to deal with.

Yes, this is life, it's never exactly the same, though it tends to be generally similar from day to day for identical conditions once you eliminate any confounding variables as listed above re stress/sleep/caffeine/exercise/etc. It is hard (impossible) to eliminate them all though, so it's often best to simply not expect it to be the same, and when it is you pat yourself on the back and buy a lottery ticket 😉

It does also change over longer periods irrespective, so any given response today will likely be different to that in a month or two, even once you've accounted for as many of the variables as possible.

Variety is the spice of life they say 😉

This is his body having adjusted to the higher levels. It will go away once he starts running at normal levels.

I don't know how to deal with the anxiety aspect, aside from him experimenting to see how much a given dose of insulin will (typically) drop his levels and how he can raise his BG with something fast acting (dextrose or sucrose for example will be almost immediate and can be absorbed in the mouth through the cheeks.)

I say typically above, because sometimes I inject a correction only to find that my BG has independently decided to head down (vertically!) on its own - that can be mildly concerning, however knowing how much and quickly you can raise it is a good reassurance that you can get yourself out of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back