drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

Tonight at 5pm Alex was 6mmols. He hadnt eaten anything since 1pm - he played on the wii for 10 minutes (not exercise really) and he is now 22.6mmols!!!!!!!!!???

I am starting to wonder if his levemir is running out before the 24 hours? If this is the case - is that why some people split their dose in order to counteract the drop? Thanks. 🙂 Bev

Hi all,

Tonight at 5pm Alex was 6mmols. He hadnt eaten anything since 1pm - he played on the wii for 10 minutes (not exercise really) and he is now 22.6mmols!!!!!!!!!???

I am starting to wonder if his levemir is running out before the 24 hours? If this is the case - is that why some people split their dose in order to counteract the drop? Thanks. 🙂 Bev

Hi Bev

What food had he eaten at 1pm? Was the 22.6mmols before or after food in the evening and were his hands definately clean before the BSL?

Also, was he well and did he have keytones?

Sorry for al the Q's. Such a swing in sugars there, trying to gauge what is occurring!

Hope he is feeling better. It must be very stressful for you as well when this happens.

Love lou

Hi Bev,

I'd echo what Sugarbum has said. What did he eat for lunch? I find that fatty/oily foods keep me high later on. I think this is because the oils/fats break down slower than the carbs in food (fats are a better source of energy than either proteins or carbs) but they break down slower.

Tom H

Hi Lou,
At 1pm he had a baguette (wholemeal) with ham and cheese and salad. We did have to guestimate the carbs though as we were out - we got it to 65grams carbs. No pudding. But when we tested later he was 6 so surely we must have had it somewhere near the right amount? He is well and no keytones either. The 22mmols was before his evening meal and yes his hands were spotless as i had scrubbed them to make home-made pizza! Bev

Hi bev

Sounds a good idea to split doses if DSN advises (although ours recently said it's 'unusual' to split it -- NOT true! It's very, very common, and is in all the literature...!).

Also, it is exactly this scenario that led us to realise that E's levermir was suddenly wrong. He was at 8 two hours after eating a reasonably short digesting meal, and seven hours after the meal, having eaten nothing, he was 17. This brought us us short and we began adjusting his levermir by two units at a time. This was when his levels were all over the place and we couldn't figure out what was happening -- before this we *thought* we needed to adjust novorapid and ratios -- but this event distilled it all for us: eventually we have arrived at increasing his levermir by 30% over 6 days. Overall, his insulin requirements have gone up 50% in two weeks. The difference to control is astonishing: his fasting levels (between meals and in the morning) have regularly been 5-7 mmols. We are quite prepared for it to go up again anytime, and the DSN has warned us thus -- but for the moment, it's a relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back