Driving With Hand-Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It looks likely that if I get my licence back it will be for hand-controls because of the ongoing issues with my remaining (right) foot. Does anybody here drive with hand-controls and how do they find it? I personally do not see it as a problem as I gave ridden all sorts of two wheelers from sports mopeds (remember them - much hated by the government of the day) to a tuned Triton that rely much more on hand controls than foot ones! 🙂 (smile for the Triton not hand-controls).

Mikey, I never have but have most certainly been a passenger with the double amputee owner - my 1st husband's uncle - and with my physically able 1st husband driving said car when he'd repaired it.

I don't believe that Motability expect the disabled to immediately decide to drive from Lands End to Jon o' Groats, once they get their first hand controlled car though! although you do have a more limited range of makes/models to choose from - whereas I daresay that given the money, a skilled mechanic could probably convert virtually any car to hand controls.

Ring Motability and have a chat.

Last edited:
I know a couple of people who use a car with hand controls, for different reasons, one diabetic neuropathy who had to have his car converted, get rid of his caravan and classic MG and the other my niece due to botched ankle surgery after an accident and they get on fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back