Driving - Metformin x 2 a day . 1x Levemir on waking - Urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
No official has told me that I need to notify DVLA re license.
In the past 4 months Ive 3 readings slipping just below 4.That was early days. I have a snack between meals to keep the levels up: Always do a finger prick before driving . Carry jelly babies and a can of appletise in the car ; have never had to use these.
I travel max 8 miles , hubby usually drives .

Ive seen a piece on the website about insulin and DVLA. Does this apply even for once a day insulin with use of metformin ?

In the past 4 months Ive 3 readings slipping just below 4.That was early days. I have a snack between meals to keep the levels up: Always do a finger prick before driving . Carry jelly babies and a can of appletise in the car ; have never had to use these.

Ive seen a piece on the website about insulin and DVLA. Does this apply even for once a day insulin with use of metformin ?
Yes you will need to tell them. The rule is any insulin, regardless of what type, or what sort of diabetes you have if the insulin treatment is going to last more than three months. See here.

Yes, you need to tell them @Jenny105 Also, tell your insurance company.

The rule about hypos and licences is about hypo awareness and whether you needed the assistance of another person, but everyone on insulin needs to inform them and then answer the extra medical questions.

Yes. It’s your responsibility to tell dvla and to make sure you know the rules of driving on insulin.

Whoever prescribed the insulin should have made you aware of the need to disclose to DVLA. Based on last year when I went onto insulin, you get a new licence issued which is valid for three years. If you had it, you will lose entitlement to drive a minibus!

You have to advise the DVLA if you take insulin or any drug that can cause hypoglycemia. Some drugs not on the list must also be disclosed if you have or are applying for PSV or HGV licence.

Thanks for the posts everyone. I'll check with GP that insulin will continue ONCE a day. Ive gone beyond the 3m trial. We did talk about driving on holiday a few weeks ago. I would always take a finger prick test b4 driving: boost levels if around 5
I havent experienced any of the physical symptoms bar feeling hot under the arms the first time. That was the lowest reading I'd ever had, 2.7. That hasn't been repeated.

Im trialling alternating 17 and 18 units levemir on waking.-17 seems to be the better dose. My waking average is approx 7; bedtime average 8.
I take 2 other meds for other reasons different doses per day on alternate days. Maybe thats how my body works.

I havent experienced any of the physical symptoms bar feeling hot under the arms the first time. That was the lowest reading I'd ever had, 2.7. That hasn't been repeated.
If you’re saying here that you don’t get symptoms of hypos, other than on only one occasion where you had hot armpits, then you will need to declare the hypo unawareness to the DVLA and most likely will lose your licence.

That doesnt sound very good . I do get a croaky throat and possible slight grumpiness and feel hungry, Wots the fingerprick number for a hypo ?

That doesnt sound very good . I do get a croaky throat and possible slight grumpiness and feel hungry, Wots the fingerprick number for a hypo ?
Under 4.0 is a hypo

Thanks. Ill contact doc on line tomorrow. One 3.9 last week. one 3.8 week before. But gone in 20 mins after 1/2 tin appletise and 2 jelly babies.Reading of 5.
From last week week I always having something to eat @ 11 am from list on 1800 meal planner snacks or biscuits etc. 11.30 - 12 .15 would be the low time .

Thanks. Ill contact doc on line tomorrow. One 3.9 last week. one 3.8 week before. But gone in 20 mins after 1/2 tin appletise and 2 jelly babies.Reading of 5.
From last week week I always having something to eat @ 11 am from list on 1800 meal planner snacks or biscuits etc. 11.30 - 12 .15 would be the low time .
If you’re having hypos without any symptoms, on top of being on insulin and not having informed the DVLA that you take insulin , then I’d definitely stop driving for now until you’ve had a decision from the DVLA regarding driving. You shouldn’t need to be having a snack to prevent hypos too so you need some advice on adjusting insulin when you speak to the dr as well as on the hypo unawareness and driving.

okay will do. i rarely drive . Hubby often gets there first, and its only a mile or 2.
i always was having snacks most of the time. Im trying to get my weight up to 8 stone. Ive a long way to go , that one 2.7 made me even more sure about the extra food. Ive managed to get up to 7.7- some days. Its taken months . Anyway , unless any one else has anything to add,

okay will do. i rarely drive . Hubby often gets there first, and its only a mile or 2.
i always was having snacks most of the time. Im trying to get my weight up to 8 stone. Ive a long way to go , that one 2.7 made me even more sure about the extra food. Ive managed to get up to 7.7- some days. Its taken months . Anyway , unless any one else has anything to add,
Having snacks because you want them is fine, but you said you’re having to snack at 11am because you’re low 11:30-12:15 if you don’t. It’s that that needs sorting in your insulin, because if you are busy and can’t snack then you’d go hypo. You shouldn’t have to time your snacks around when your bg is dropping, they should be flexible and timed for when you want to snack.

Yes it does,

This is the trouble with just a basal insulin like Levemir. The dose is often too high because it’s been given a job it’s not supposed to have: deal with meals. In your earlier thread where you mentioned not feeling hypos and going low at certain times, you said you were going to enquire about adjusting your insulin - have you had a chance to do that @Jenny105 ?

Hypo symptoms should be very obvious, especially as you’re quite new to insulin. The fact you’re not feeling them is a concern. Definitely don’t drive for now. In your situation, I’d also ask about the possibility of a proper basal/bolus insulin regime. This could be more finely tuned to your needs and so reduce any hypos and also hopefully give you a chance to get your warning signs back, as well as putting on weight.

Under 4.0 is a hypo
No, strictly 3.5 is hypo. But DVLA use 4 to give a safety factor and I get no hypo symptoms at 4 but plenty at 3.5. I raised this with my Endocrinologist after being told hypo is 3.5 on my DAFNE course and specifically asked him if no symptoms at 4 meant I should raise this with DVLA and he said categorically NOT. I have good hypo symptoms and I can't help it that DVLA haven't understood how our bodies actually work.

No, strictly 3.5 is hypo. But DVLA use 4 to give a safety factor and I get no hypo symptoms at 4 but plenty at 3.5. I raised this with my Endocrinologist after being told hypo is 3.5 on my DAFNE course and specifically asked him if no symptoms at 4 meant I should raise this with DVLA and he said categorically NOT. I have good hypo symptoms and I can't help it that DVLA haven't understood how our bodies actually work.
OP was specifically asking about dvla definition of hypo (see thread title), and has only once felt “slightly hot armpits” with a 2.7, has never felt any other hypo symptoms and was having lows before the recent 3.8 and 3.9 hence the having to snack at 11am. This does sound like hypo unawareness.

OP was specifically asking about dvla definition of hypo (see thread title), and has only once felt “slightly hot armpits” with a 2.7, has never felt any other hypo symptoms and was having lows before the recent 3.8 and 3.9 hence the having to snack at 11am. This does sound like hypo unawareness.
Yes, I don't disagree.

But we're tangled up in a bit of DVLA nonsense where 4 is quoted as if its the absolute bottom limit, yet without the necessary understanding about how these things actually happen. Once a Parliamentary Committee gets hold of possible legislation they try to define everything in fine detail and leave no room for sense or judgement. We have Courts of Law which could hear the evidence and make a ruling on the facts from the event - but aren't allowed to do that and it all ends up as hopelessly confusing words. Each word makes some sense, but all too often when placed in one sentence they leave great ambiguities! The only consolation is that this isn't new, been happening since forever - but that isn't really any consolation.

started as one turned into definite at 11 ish. Im retired. I volunteer at foodbank - coffee and cake available. Church has coffee and biscuits. at home & retired so coffee and something around 11. I have a BIG bag for my assistance dog so theres room for all manner of things in there. Hubby usually drives and the glove compartment has biscuits, drink and dry stuff foer when we dog walk in the fields everyday. So got it covered
This is the trouble with just a basal insulin like Levemir. The dose is often too high because it’s been given a job it’s not supposed to have: deal with meals. In your earlier thread where you mentioned not feeling hypos and going low at certain times, you said you were going to enquire about adjusting your insulin - have you had a chance to do that @Jenny105 ?

Hypo symptoms should be very obvious, especially as you’re quite new to insulin. The fact you’re not feeling them is a concern. Definitely don’t drive for now. In your situation, I’d also ask about the possibility of a proper basal/bolus insulin regime. This could be more finely tuned to your needs and so reduce any hypos and also hopefully give you a chance to get your warning signs back, as well as putting on weight.
@Inka Hi Inka , on the ball as ever. What I tried was 18 , 17 , on alternate days . I noticed 17 had a better effect. So I tried a week of 17. This went well, I had one day of highs (not very high ) I took one 18 but this tended to go low. This week Im going back to 17. If that works well I'll contact GP.
My Diabetic nurse is the only person in the Practice I just cant get on with , nor understand. I'll also contact the private dietician I contacted i can understand her ans she answers my questions . My DN says eat normally - what is normal ?

Re insulin - is it supposed to stimulate the production of insulin rather than deal with meals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back