Driving Licence Renewal

mark king

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm in the same boat as you freesia, driving on the 88 clause.
I've rung them a couple of times and got snapped at saying they were busy, working from home and didn't I know there was a pandemic happening.
I told him I wanted to know if my boots eye test that they had requested me to do had got through to them. He said yes all was ok and i was in a pile which they were wading through and I would have to just wait until they worked through to me.
I sent it off end Nov / beginning Dec so from what you say it should be soon.

BEST

Last edited:

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm in the same boat as you freesia, driving on the 88 clause.
I've rung them a couple of times and got snapped at saying they were busy, working from home and didn't I know there was a pandemic happening.
I told him I wanted to know if my boots eye test that they had requested me to do had got through to them. He said yes all was ok and i was in a pile which they were wading through and I would have to just wait until they worked through to me.
I sent it off end Nov / beginning Dec so from what you say it should be soon.

Bets
Its so frustrating isnt it? I can understand they are busy and working with restrictions but many of us are

Becka

This morning I have received a letter dated March 10th saying they did not receive my declaration form and have given me ten days to return a duplicate or they will cancel my licence.

And my new licence arrived yesterday, so one week after them saying they did not receive the old one. Grr.
And tThe European flag has been replaced by the letters UK. Hmph.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
And my new licence arrived yesterday, so one week after them saying they did not receive the old one. Grr.
And tThe European flag has been replaced by the letters UK. Hmph.

Glad yours has arrived now @Becka

I noted that change on my renewed license too. Gave me a little twinge of melancholy. Not that I’ve driven abroad more than about twice in my life!

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Some seem to suggest you are OK to drive provided your Dr hasn’t told you to stop, while others suggest you need to ask your Dr to specifically agree.

I suspect if there have been any changes which you think might potentially affect your fitness to drive since you last saw your Dr, it would be a good idea to checking to make sure you are still OK?

I spoke to my GP (i don't have a diabetes consultant). He put a note on my medical records to say that we had spoken and that he agreed to my driving under Section 88. They wouldnt provide a letter but if i'm stopped for any reason, i can refer them to the surgery.
DVLA told me last week that they are working through everything in order it was received and they are still working through December applications!

Sensible

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Summary
I suspect the paperwork approach to contact the dvla is especially suffering from the final frontier, space-ing reqs creating an insufficiency of capacity to deal with demand. This hits the public, especially IT avoiders or the dig id denied and thus represents a disequitable systematic bias against those people. Its a highly frustrating setup with the responsible hidden behind online accounts and phones. One must compress their expanded feelings of Dickensian fustian discombobulation, or so i'm told.
Although finally i sent a letter of complaint highlighting what i wanted, what i'd experienced, areas of inadequate service and suggestions for improvement, i doubt this letter resulted in my receipt of letter inviting to choose a specsavers for an appt as it came just 1 day later. However i think important to raise a complaint even after a solution has been found so that the organisation can consider whether and how they can respond to such problems. Clearly the more people who write, the more likely they are to rake action to resolve a situation.

The Alliterative History of DaDucky dealings with the DVLA - an Exercise in Weariness

My dealings with as they say in Liverpool, div la. started in Nov 2020, having asked the opthamalogist a few questions, i decided to check the dvla had the most uptodate info.

Month (M1) dvla 0300 790 6806 8am-7pm, couldnt get thru. Tried numerous times at times of day over the next months

M1-1.5 tried to register for online submission of forms. But bcos i have no loans eg mortgage, and try to limit websites scraping my data, i have a ltd online presence associated with my name. So they did not confirm my id, despite my provision id doc scans. The gov id caper is a farce.
M2.5 posted dvla D1, D42, Diab1, gen 1 + license to DVLA
M2.5-3 i wanted to know if they'd rcvd my paperwork. Tried calling the dvla x3 and sent of emails to eftd, no answer
M3.5 i spent 4 hrs calling the dvla to check on fate of my paperwork. Finally i got thr. Yes they told me, at M2. I explained i had spent the time between posting the paperwork + this call worrying about whether it lost in the post/ delayed or some other fate. I wd hv appreciated the courtesy of their acknowledging receipt. I was told "This isn't how they they operate". I responded this isn't how the DVLA chooses to operate.
[In this day +age, this shd really an automated occurence].

M5.5 .DVL A wrt to me stating i needed an fov test, but there was a delay. [The dvla provided no indication what they were doing to manage the delay or indication of constraint on the delay ie i could persist licenseless indefinitely]
M6 wrote ltr of complaint to dvla(see below if you'd to do the same)
M6+1 day rcvd ltr from Specsavers asking to chse a shop. I would need to arrange with them.
M6.5 appt with SS
M7 received renewed license

---
Ltr of Complaint

https://contact.dvla.gov.uk/complaints/capture_transaction

DDMMYY
Dear Sir/ Madam

This is a letter of complaint regarding the service i am receiving from the DVLA.

On the DDMMYY, i posted an application to renew my medically ltd driving license.

On DDMMYY, i received a letter from the DVLA stating i needed a field of vision test and there would be a delay, but the dvla would be in touch.

My complaint concerns:

1) the lack of constraint on the delay.
With the lack of information provided, i may have to wait licenseless indefinitely, an unequitable situation. Even prisoners are given constraints to their sentences.

Its not clear to me why there is a delay- beyond the uninformative catchall "COVID...delays...sorry...". [ i didn't say this, but it wd hv bn useful to know whether the delay was a DVLA or a Specsaver capacity problem or both and what they are doing to solve it e.g. holding up their hands and sighing, oooh woe is me!]

I note my local Specsavers (...) is open.

2) the administration of FOV appts by the DVLA seems to be a pinch point.
Perhaps a better method would be to issue candidate drivers a voucher to be redeemed at any optician who met the DVLA standards and registered with the DVLA, where such opticians would be listed on the dvla website, thus broadening the supply base and not limiting supply of FOV tests to one supplier of appointments.

3) That i have not been able to reach a human in the dvla medical section in regard to understanding when I might get an FOV appt. [i didn't say this as i'd lost count but i had tel'd numerous times without success]

I believe you need
  1. The medical section expanded now/ASAP - covid been going on a year now so it hardly constitutes a new situation any more +
  2. That the medical section be expanded to match demographic and associated clinical burden, chiefly aging, for the future.

I still await a FOV test date having posted all my forms on DDMMYY, over a third of year ago[, licenselessly].

Yours faithfully

Last edited:

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Still waiting to hear anything at all! Its their records not being undated that made me have to apply by post rather than online. Will be ringing again next week.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Also read on bbc news the other day that dvla are striking and refusing to go back to work because they were scared after covid. Apparently Boris said that over 2000 tests were done and all were negative.

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
T
Still waiting to hear anything at all! Its their records not being undated that made me have to apply by post rather than online. Will be ringing again next week.
There used to be local.dvla offices, largely for driving license tests i presume. I dont know if such has been phased out in place of virtual driving to Amazon warehouses for example, but if they did, i wonder whether one might get more movement on your question having touched base with them. Worth a try maybe?

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
T

There used to be local.dvla offices, largely for driving license tests i presume. I dont know if such has been phased out in place of virtual driving to Amazon warehouses for example, but if they did, i wonder whether one might get more movement on your question having touched base with them. Worth a try maybe?
I didn't know that. Will have a google. I thought the local places were just test centres.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So....just rang DVLA again for an update. Last time i was told they were working through December's backlog, that was back in March. Today ive been told my licence has expired (that happened February) that they had a huge backlog and there were thousands like me!!! All very helpful.. not! Still wont give timescale, just saying they will contact me when its being looked at. I'm so frustrated

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So....just rang DVLA again for an update. Last time i was told they were working through December's backlog, that was back in March. Today ive been told my licence has expired (that happened February) that they had a huge backlog and there were thousands like me!!! All very helpful.. not! Still wont give timescale, just saying they will contact me when its being looked at. I'm so frustrated

This is ridiculous @freesia - lots of other members on the forum are having their renewals processed in a timely way, or with just a slight delay.

It can’t be right that yours is taking this long??? Why are some caught in this mysterious backlog and others arent?

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is ridiculous @freesia - lots of other members on the forum are having their renewals processed in a timely way, or with just a slight delay.

It can’t be right that yours is taking this long??? Why are some caught in this mysterious backlog and others arent?
It doesn't make sense. He also said "As my colleague told you back in March...". It doesnt help being told there are thousands who are also stuck in this system, it doesnt give me much hope. I know there is a pandemic, people working from home etc but they can't give me any reason for the delay apart from "theres a backlog". I read the other day that staff at the DVLA were wanting to strike as they didn't feel it was safe to go back at this time. Boris said that 2,000 tests had been carried out and they were all negative so theres no reason why they shouldn't go back. My OH has worked all through the pandemic with others, socially distanced, so why can't the DVLA.
The problem is....there is nowhere i can go for any help to get anywhere with this.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It doesn't make sense. He also said "As my colleague told you back in March...". It doesnt help being told there are thousands who are also stuck in this system, it doesnt give me much hope. I know there is a pandemic, people working from home etc but they can't give me any reason for the delay apart from "theres a backlog". I read the other day that staff at the DVLA were wanting to strike as they didn't feel it was safe to go back at this time. Boris said that 2,000 tests had been carried out and they were all negative so theres no reason why they shouldn't go back. My OH has worked all through the pandemic with others, socially distanced, so why can't the DVLA.
The problem is....there is nowhere i can go for any help to get anywhere with this.

:( :( :(

And I suppose now that your licence has expired you can’t even “switch it off and on again” by just starting the process again and hoping you get your response in a few weeks as others have here :(

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
:( :( :(

And I suppose now that your licence has expired you can’t even “switch it off and on again” by just starting the process again and hoping you get your response in a few weeks as others have here :(
Exactly, i'm stuck in the system with nowhere to go. I just don't know what else i can do.