Driving Licence Renewal

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm STILL waiting for mine. They received it on 4th January but when i ring all i get told is that its waiting in a queue to be reviewed. Currently driving under Section 88 with GP's agreement but i wish they would hurry up. I can't understand how some people are having the licence back within days and others are not.

Wow! That’s really surprising @freesia

Might be worth chasing DVLA up again if you can bear the wait on the phone - I think mine was back to me in about 2-3 weeks!

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow! That’s really surprising @freesia

Might be worth chasing DVLA up again if you can bear the wait on the phone - I think mine was back to me in about 2-3 weeks!
Up until the last couple of weeks, i've chased it every week. The last time i spoke to them the chap said did i not realise they were a call centre and they can only tell me what is on their screen, they don't know any more than that!! If they don't know, where am i supposed to go to find out? I intend chasing again this week.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Up until the last couple of weeks, i've chased it every week. The last time i spoke to them the chap said did i not realise they were a call centre and they can only tell me what is on their screen, they don't know any more than that!! If they don't know, where am i supposed to go to find out? I intend chasing again this week.

Ugh! that’s awful. Hope you get more joy (and a more helpful person!) next week

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So...i rang the DVLA again yesterday. Spoke to a much more pleasant chap but who STILL could not tell me when the licence will come back. Now i've been told (again) that its still in the queue to be reviewed but (this is new) the good thing is they are reviewing the applications in date order and they are currently reviewing the applications from December!! Considering they received my application at the beginning of January it will be a few more weeks yet i think :rolleyes:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear this @freesia

A small glimmer of hope amd indication of progress perhaps though.

So weird that some people’s renewals get snarled up in a huge backlog, while others seem to get processed with hardly any delays at all.

Thank goodness you can continue to drive in the meantime under Section 88

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My driving licence expires at the end of March but mindful of the reported Covid-related problems at DVLA, I applied for my new licence on 22 Feb - online. Easiest process ever, done in less than 10 minutes. New licence arrived this morning. Obviously posted on Friday so that's just 5 days to process. I am amazed! All credit to DVLA.
Good to hear.
I tried to apply online but couldnt get a digital id as dont have a sufficiently deep online presence i.e. i reject additional cookies.
I heard from the dvla to say i needed another test (FOV) and they be in touch. That was in December...

Last edited:

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I posted the medical notification form on February 5th then received the letter saying they have completed their enquiries dated February 17th.

Thankfully I need to collect a prescription shortly, the only reason I am breaking shielding now I have one vaccine dose, so can post my old licence back within the 21 day limit. Although I assume they will make some allowance for the pandemic.

Though, having just checked, I still cannot register with either provider for GOV.UK VERIFY. I spent a month regularly trying before giving up and posting the paper notification form. I did complain to the VERIFY team, but they just dismissed that it does not work and said to keep trying. The "taking longer than expected" is now being measured in units of months.

View attachment 16329
Same here re dig id bah humbug. Took 3 months for dvla to get back.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is a good thing my GP agreed to it as when i spoke to my head saying i might struggle to get to work the answer was "could you not get a taxi" (which
Sorry to hear this @freesia

A small glimmer of hope amd indication of progress perhaps though.

So weird that some people’s renewals get snarled up in a huge backlog, while others seem to get processed with hardly any delays at all.

The day after i saw a headline on Google that the DVLA were considering striking!

Becka

Is there a good time of day to call the medical group when they are will not too busy?

This morning I have received a letter dated March 10th saying they did not receive my declaration form and have given me ten days to return a duplicate or they will cancel my licence. Given it took five days for their letter to arrive, there is no guarantee sending the duplicate form will arrive in time. Not that I can send it anyway, because they did not include the 'enclosed envelope' and they do not provide the return address in the letter.

I sent my form and licence on March 3rd so they should have received it by the letter date. They are happy to explain they are offering a limited service due to Covid yet seem to have no regard to the rest of us having to deal with its effects too. So I need to at least buy more time and ask for an address to send the second form, but I either get a busy tone or told to try again later.

UPDATE: No need now, on the 37th attempt I got through! Seems it took a week for it to be received so, the reminder / warning was an overlap.

Last edited:

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'd been putting it off as thought it looked quite complicated at a glance (first renewal) so glad to hear it's not the case! Now know what I'll be doing today

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s worth saying that if there are any delays due to Covid, and your licence “expires” you are still legally entitled to drive. The DVLA told me that some years back.

Becka

Indeed! Possible Covid relaxations or not, when you get a letter that says, in bold, your licence will be cancelled in five days you take it very seriously.

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I posted the medical notification form on February 5th then received the letter saying they have completed their enquiries dated February 17th.

Thankfully I need to collect a prescription shortly, the only reason I am breaking shielding now I have one vaccine dose, so can post my old licence back within the 21 day limit. Although I assume they will make some allowance for the pandemic.

Though, having just checked, I still cannot register with either provider for GOV.UK VERIFY. I spent a month regularly trying before giving up and posting the paper notification form. I did complain to the VERIFY team, but they just dismissed that it does not work and said to keep trying. The "taking longer than expected" is now being measured in units of months.

View attachment 16329
I got the same with verify.
I've had you need a fov from.the dvla but " its taking longer than usual" with neither an indication of why its taking longer than usual, what they're doing to fix it, by when the problem should be fixed. I sent a few questions to the dvla but get the standard recycled lines to take ie the same message.
I sent my paperwork off early Dec, they received it 17th Dec, confirmed they had it when i finally got through in Jan. They told me i need a field of vis test in March, but re the date...

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm STILL waiting for mine. They received it on 4th January but when i ring all i get told is that its waiting in a queue to be reviewed. Currently driving under Section 88 with GP's agreement but i wish they would hurry up. I can't understand how some people are having the licence back within days and others are not.
hi...how does section 88 work as dvlaxsaid i might be able to continue drivingxwhile they wait to give me a date for the field of vis test.

daducky88

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there a good time of day to call the medical group when they are will not too busy?

This morning I have received a letter dated March 10th saying they did not receive my declaration form and have given me ten days to return a duplicate or they will cancel my licence. Given it took five days for their letter to arrive, there is no guarantee sending the duplicate form will arrive in time. Not that I can send it anyway, because they did not include the 'enclosed envelope' and they do not provide the return address in the letter.

I sent my form and licence on March 3rd so they should have received it by the letter date. They are happy to explain they are offering a limited service due to Covid yet seem to have no regard to the rest of us having to deal with its effects too. So I need to at least buy more time and ask for an address to send the second form, but I either get a busy tone or told to try again later.

UPDATE: No need now, on the 37th attempt I got through! Seems it took a week for it to be received so, the reminder / warning was an overlap.
Send a complaint about service inadequacy. No complaint, no motivation, no change.
Try roping in your local mp in to get some accountability out the dvla.

In 2016, the parliamentary ombudspickle published a report of the inadequacy of service of tge dvla for people with complex health conditions.

I'd write an FOIR to the DfT , directed to

Baroness Vere of Norbiton​

PUS State for transport responsible for the dvla. She has an mba in management so maybe she can use to straighten the dvla out a bit.

and DVLA

simultaneously asking both albeit separately to inform you what conditions the dvla eg standards, inspections, improvements must now deliver concerning the the 2016 ombudsman report and what measyres of setvice adequacy are the using and how performing against those measures.

Covids been going on a year now, thats time enough time to get their act together. They're not building a nuclear reactor after all or may be there's something going on at Swansea i dont understand. The Contact Centre customer satisfaction survery was withdrawn in 2017. The telephone service to help customer use online was suspended. " Inside the DVLA" blog ean a headline "Making sure our online services are accessible to all" - except drivers.

Its notable that the "head of dvla's award winning contact centre... also chairs the cross government contact centre network, sharing best practice across the public sector." God help us.
To be fair to the DVLA contact centre head the rcvd 0.8M emails and 11M calls. Ouch.
Considering the dvla defaults to i policy and ii clinical opinion, you wonder why the service of 45M licenses is in the dvlas hands.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi...how does section 88 work as dvlaxsaid i might be able to continue drivingxwhile they wait to give me a date for the field of vis test.
I spoke to my GP (i don't have a diabetes consultant). He put a note on my medical records to say that we had spoken and that he agreed to my driving under Section 88. They wouldnt provide a letter but if i'm stopped for any reason, i can refer them to the surgery.
DVLA told me last week that they are working through everything in order it was received and they are still working through December applications!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Some seem to suggest you are OK to drive provided your Dr hasn’t told you to stop, while others suggest you need to ask your Dr to specifically agree.

I suspect if there have been any changes which you think might potentially affect your fitness to drive since you last saw your Dr, it would be a good idea to checking to make sure you are still OK?

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Some seem to suggest you are OK to drive provided your Dr hasn’t told you to stop, while others suggest you need to ask your Dr to specifically agree.

I suspect if there have been any changes which you think might potentially affect your fitness to drive since you last saw your Dr, it would be a good idea to checking to make sure you are still OK?
I checked with my GP and got permission put on my records purely so that if ever i was stopped the records would show somebody else agreed i was ok to drive.