Driving and tellkng dvla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma19834

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I've been put on insulin temporarily while I'm trying to get pregnant I've just been put on 4 units over night and the doctor said that I need to tell the DVLA.
I was wondering I filled in the form online and it says it will contact the doctor but it's not permanent so as anyone had any experience with this and if so how how did it go I'm just concerned that the think it's sick all the time and it's only while I try and get pregnant and hopefully through my pregnancy and any information and advice would be greatly appreciated and my main thing is that obviously I need to drive to go to work any advice thank you?

Yes you do have to tell the DVLA, if your insulin is more than for a short (3 month) period. And they may check with your doctor, though they don’t always, and then will issue you with a three year licence.
There are then rules that you will have to follow, like checking your blood glucose levels before you drive, and every two hours while driving, which can seem tedious, but which are to keep you and other road users safe.
It doesn’t have to be for ever, though, when you stop taking insulin, you can tell the DVLA and ask for your full licence back.

Last edited:
Yes you do have to tell the DVLA, if your insulin is more than for a short (10 week, I think) period. And they may check with your doctor, though they don’t always, and then will issue you with a three year licence.
There are then rules that you will have to follow, like checking your blood glucose levels before you drive, and every two hours while driving, which can seem tedious, but which are to keep you and other road users safe.
It doesn’t have to be for ever, though, when you stop taking insulin, you can tell the DVLA and ask for your full licence back.
Hiya thank you for your reply , you put my mind at ease I was starting to panic good to know I can still drive , work dependent on it. Appreciate your reply thank you xx

Hiya thank you for your reply , you put my mind at ease I was starting to panic good to know I can still drive , work dependent on it. Appreciate your reply thank you xx
Sticking to the rules keeps you, and others, safe and following them should mean that no problems arise. Reinstating your license when you stop your insulin should be straight forward.

Hi all I've been put on insulin temporarily while I'm trying to get pregnant I've just been put on 4 units over night and the doctor said that I need to tell the DVLA.
I was wondering I filled in the form online and it says it will contact the doctor but it's not permanent so as anyone had any experience with this and if so how how did it go I'm just concerned that the think it's sick all the time and it's only while I try and get pregnant and hopefully through my pregnancy and any information and advice would be greatly appreciated and my main thing is that obviously I need to drive to go to work any advice thank you?
I think you need to check the DVLA website as I'm sure I read temp use of insulin you don't have to tell the DVLA

I think you need to check the DVLA website as I'm sure I read temp use of insulin you don't have to tell the DVLA
It’s if it lasts or will last over 3 months, you have to tell the DVLA.( I was wrong about the 10 weeks above, I’ll amend it) I assume as Emma’s is a bit open ended, (as she doesn’t know how quickly she might fall pregnant, and then will have insulin while she is expecting) then she falls into the category of needing to tell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back