Drinking alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. I know the answer to this question I think, I guess getting drunk is something else we can't do now isn't it?. I am not a big drinker by any means. The odd family get together and with the guys from work. We are probably looking at 4 or 5 times a year.? Thanks

Yes you can get drunk
It is not recommended but it was not recommended when you did not have diabetes.
Ok there are extra complications to be aware of : our liver, which drip glucose, don't like alcohol - it considers it toxic - so it priorities sorting out the alcohol over dripping glucose and our blood sugars may drop. Compound this with a hypo possibly appearing to be like drunkenness and the hypo may go unnoticed.
It is advised to drink in moderation. But, if you choose to drink a little more, eat some carbs without insulin, before going to bed to avoid going too low.

Also, be aware of possible carbs in your drink. Wine and spirits are not too bad (unless you have sugary mixers), cocktails, beer and cider are quite carby. Bearing in mind the potential blood sugar drop, whether you count those carbs is something to consider. If I am drinking in moderation (confident I won't get a hangover) , I inject for the carbs in the beer. Once I cross the moderation threshold, I stop injecting.

The worry is that if you’re really drunk, you might not sense the signs of a hypo, and those around might assume you’re just drunk when actually you’re hypo. In addition, alcohol can cause hypos some hours later, which can be dangerous.

So, you can still drink alcohol, but you need to be aware of your diabetes at all times, do extra tests, and possibly eat extra carb snacks too. I don’t like that feeling of being drunk and unable to sense your blood sugar. It’s scary. For that reason, I normally stick to one or two drinks on days at home that I drink, and on special occasions, I space my alcohol and do limit it to maybe 3 or so drinks.

Completely agree with the others. Drinking is still possible, but it just needs a little more thinking about, and a degree of caution.

Depending on your tipple of choice, you may find you get a significant upward push on your BGs in the short term (real ales can have approx 20g of carbs per pint). But once the liver gets to work processing them, you are likely to see an overall BG reduction, as it’s too busy to also provide it’s background trickle of glucose.

Any counterregulatory hormone response to low BGs is also likely to be impaired, as will your ability to spot the early signs of an oncoming hypo. Plus as @Inka says, you’ll potentially have alcohol on your breath and will be behaving in a drunken way because of hypoglycaemia not booze,

The BG-lowering effect of alcohol can be quite dramatic in some people, and can continue through into the following day.

So feel free to enjoy a drink, but be a little cautious, and take some time getting to know how your body responds. Let people know who are with you to keep an eye, take fast acting carbs with you, and carry diabetes medical ID so that if worst comes to worse, the emergency services / paramedics will be alerted.

I agree with the above comments. Essentially, practice at home with a few of your favourite tipple, and watch your BG that day and the next. The trick is to avoid making it a habit at home😉 Then you can go out with more confidence, and a pocketful of Jelly Babies.

I don't drink to get drunk, but it sometimes happens.
I find if I have 3-4 glasses of red wine, I will wake up with readings In the 3's , so always have some carbs before bed.
If I drink spirits, I wake with readings between 6&7 .
Used to love real ales and ciders but since being diagnosed I haven't drunk them very often.

I’ve found I’m better off not drinking at all. The hypos the following day were sometimes continuous, usually unpredictable. I just couldn’t get on with my day, even after just a couple of glasses of wine the night before. We’re all different!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back