Dreaded eating out

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellySuffolk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Me and my husband are thinking about going out for a meal in the next few weeks as we have not been out since I was diagnosed with type 2 in March. It was something I wanted to do so I can have an idea what restaurants are best suited for diabetics

Are the any types of restaurants which are better for us diabetics,? It seems to be a bit of a minefield for me at the moment.

A steak restaurant might be OK!! You'd have to let hubby eat your chips, and have a salad/green veg instead.

Or ditto re fish.

You can enjoy the cheese platter - but not the crackers!

Avoid Italian - all that 'evil pasta' (sigh). And Indian/Chinese (evil rice, sigh again)

I do hope you do go out though - Diabetes shouldn't be a jail sentence for never going out in the world. And also, how about being tougher on yourself the previous days, to give yourself a bit of 'head room' for when you go out?

Are you routinely monitoring your blood glucose levels? If so, then you can 'manage' the evening, making sure you are low before you go, and then checking how high you are after etc. As a T2 you'll be (won't you?) far less vulnerable to highs and lows than the T1s here??

I know the experts here will guide you on this next point - but from what I'm starting to discover on this site, it seems that drinking alcohol is not that 'evil' after all for Diabetics - and if so that's good news for an evening out.

I must admit I find eating out can be tricky, as everything seems to come with chips, bread or both. You can ask for salad instead of potato and ask them to hold the bread. I used to go for an omelette or chicken (not a steak lover) and salad, but it's rare to see omelettes on the menu now. My go-to Indian is Tandoori chicken with salad and mushroom bhaji. For Chinese I'll have something like prawns with ginger and spring onions, stir fry veggies and beansprouts instead of rice or noodles.

I’ve found most restaurants will accommodate your needs, you just have to ask. I’ve been for carvery and asked to substitute the potatoes for extra veg. Indian, I had the tandoori mixed grill. To be fair, that was really boring with it being just meat, meat and more meat. This week (away with work) I’ve had duck salad and took a chance on a scotch egg which I think was carby but the rest of my day was good. That was a beautiful meal. Kippers and poached eggs for brekkie every morning!!

It doesn’t all have to be chips but you have to pick your restaurant wisely. The chains that get their food out of the freezer and warm up in the microwave would struggle to adapt I think.

Pick and choose.
Salad is fine.
Fish is good.
Don't feel you need to empty the plate.
It also depends on your budget, as obviously there is wastage.

I thought I would find it harder when I go to places where no one speaks any English, or French, and my German and Spanish is very, very sketchy, so I concentrated more on reversing my diabetes, so I could survive by pointing and seeing what turned up.
Even now some days I have no idea what I have eaten!

I'm sure you can manage gracias - so point at whatever you don't want thank you on the menu and say No quiero ! (kee-air-oh) - I do not want! and simply avoid paella like the plague ......

Unlikely to be a problem in England though.

Hi. Don't forget if you go to MacDonalds you can delete the bun as an option and they serve the meat on a plastic 'plate'

Me and my husband are thinking about going out for a meal in the next few weeks as we have not been out since I was diagnosed with type 2 in March. It was something I wanted to do so I can have an idea what restaurants are best suited for diabetics

Are the any types of restaurants which are better for us diabetics,? It seems to be a bit of a minefield for me at the moment.
As many others have said, don’t let diabetes be a jail sentence. Do consider that a half hour brisk walk will increase your metabolism as well as burn some calories in preparation for your well earned meal out.
It is all about balance that’s all. Enjoy your meal

I'm sure you can manage gracias - so point at whatever you don't want thank you on the menu and say No quiero ! (kee-air-oh) - I do not want! and simply avoid paella like the plague ......

Unlikely to be a problem in England though.

Seriously?
It's one of my favourite dishes here.

I can manage in most countries that use the Latin alphabet, many words have common roots, and my reading is way better than my conversation, so pointing is always an option.
It doesn't always pan out though.
But change the alphabet, and anything can happen. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love eating out. 🙂 I love eating! I usually try to go for steak and salad and the chips I take home for the birds. I've tried telling various establishments no chips please, but they still bring them. 🙄

Dr Atkins said if having an Indian, go for the Korma. 🙂 Be boring like Stacey in Gavin&Stacey. The thing with curry is I likes it mixed up with the rice, so it's not the same alone. Went to Syriana the other week, didn't recognise a thing I was eating but it was divine so no worries. I say to myself it's a one off and a treat so don't stress, but all my life is a one off and a treat. I'm gonna pop off happy at this rate. Hope you have a very enjoyable evening.

The only worry I have on eating out is how much are you supposed to tip?

I like fish, so when we go out I usually have grilled fish with a side salad. Always tastes so much better than my attempts. My OH will have grilled fish but have chips with it. I have never been tempted by the chips which is lucky for both of us.

I could survive by pointing and seeing what turned up.
Even now some days I have no idea what I have eaten!

I did that once - thought I was pointing to the pic of some kind of pasta in a tomato sauce.

It was tripe.

Burgers very often come bunless, including on the menu, or you an ask.

In my youth I used to regularly have bare burger and salad, while BF pigged out on the bun plus chips. Then when it came to puds, there was only one of us ordering - massive icecream. The waitress smirked and said she knew who was going to be eating that. WRONG. It was me - why the hell else had I skimped on the damn bun and chips???!!!!!!

Greek food might be a good option. Huge meat eaters, and often you don't get much rice with the kebab either.

I eat out all the time. Today I had an omelette and asked them to replace the chips with extra salad and they did, so I had a fabulous omelette and a pile of salad.

The kids like Nandos, which is good, their info on the menu is fabulous and there are plenty of ways to avoid the carbs (If you like Nandos.)

I go to Chinese restaurants and Curry Houses but just skip the rice/breads.

Tonight I'm going to a Lebanese restaurant, where I'll have a grill that comes with rice - I just ask them to replace the rice with extra salad.

Most chain restaurants are pretty difficult and the choice is quite small, and the staff rarely know what's in the food as it's all pre-made and arrives. I've had hanging kebabs in the Botanist (Where I do eat the small portion of fries), a Fish fish in Bistrot Pierre, a salad in Pizza Express, Fish dishes in Bill's, fish dishes in Prezzo that came without carbs...

At a place called Giraffe I had a bunless burger and salad (Which was disgusting!).
Five Guys do a bunless burgers.

Last edited:
Choices are more limited (saves time debating between everything) but there’s usually a few things where you can remove the carb portions of bread rice or pasta and replace it with extra salad or veg. Or I’ve built a meal from starter and side dish options. I tend to check menu’s online ahead of time if I can and plan a couple of choices to ask for and if I’m really unsure I’ll call ahead and ask so I can relax and look forward to it knowing it’s going to be ok.

If an item is on the menu somewhere I’ll ask them to mix and match sensible swaps between the dishes it occurs in (obviously not expecting meat for cheap pasta etc), it does tend to be for veg/salad items sometimes eggs. I figure it’s in the kitchen anyway. I’ve never had a polite request refused once I express I cannot eat the starchy items. There’s sometimes a brief panic about allergies which I reassure them isn’t the case but it’s an intolerance and medically advised to avoid.

I’ve even had Italian pasta sauces over green veg instead of pasta. And they usually have a meat/fish option too as well as pizza and pasta. Chinese is the hardest but non sweet non battered things can work if they are willing to not add sugar to the sauces with stir fried veg or foo yung. Indian is the usual non sweet curry choice and a side of meat kebabs or mushrooms. A bit “wet” but very tasty. Kebabs are had naked without the bread and with lots of the salad. Carvery works well with loads of veg without the potatoes or parsnips.

Was there a particular type of place you’d like to head for?

I'd love to like paella, but just hate the rice element which they usually (in Spain at least) cook in fish stock. Oh thrice yuk! No idea why I find it so revolting as I like rice usually and quite a lot of seafood too. Has always put me off trying risotto. Gimme moules marinier and some nice bread to mop the liquor up with and some frites on the side. Gimme prawns/langoustines/lobster/crab but only ever squid in fine rings deep fried, not served anyway it's soft thanks. Gimme sardines, gimme any kind of white fish, or salmon, tuna, bass etc, swordfish, trout, catfish. I like liver and adore kidneys (rinones al Jerez, bostin!) but not for everyone I know. Remember a mate seeing a fish called 'rape' on a menu in Spain being intrigued by the name but chose something else instead then discovering it's pronounced 'rappay' - but by then they were back in England anyway so no idea what sort of fish it might be.

I'd love to like paella, but just hate the rice element which they usually (in Spain at least) cook in fish stock. Oh thrice yuk! No idea why I find it so revolting as I like rice usually and quite a lot of seafood too. Has always put me off trying risotto. Gimme moules marinier and some nice bread to mop the liquor up with and some frites on the side. Gimme prawns/langoustines/lobster/crab but only ever squid in fine rings deep fried, not served anyway it's soft thanks. Gimme sardines, gimme any kind of white fish, or salmon, tuna, bass etc, swordfish, trout, catfish. I like liver and adore kidneys (rinones al Jerez, bostin!) but not for everyone I know. Remember a mate seeing a fish called 'rape' on a menu in Spain being intrigued by the name but chose something else instead then discovering it's pronounced 'rappay' - but by then they were back in England anyway so no idea what sort of fish it might be.

Like rice but not a fan of paella much like yourself.

It's a monkfish.
Very tasty, but has the dubious honour of being known as the ugliest fish as well.

Rape.jpg

If you're going somewhere where you can access the menu online beforehand, it's worth having a good perusal and sorting out what you can eat from what you ought to avoid before going. Saves a lot of time! I had my first curry of the year last Friday (i.e., since being diagnosed pre-diabetic) and had a main of Paneer Dupiaza (Indian cheese, lots of onions, tomatoes) with sides of Chana Masala (chickpeas), Saag Mushroom (spinach & mushroom) and cucumber Raita (yoghurt). No rice, no poppadoms, no naan bread. It was utterly delicious and really filling, and barely shifted my post-meal reading!

Same thing happened at Wagamama's during the week - I'd already had a good look at their menu online and decided to go for mostly sides so had miso soup with pickled veg, Salmon gyoza, and wok-fried greens. Again, my post-meal reading barely moved. Eating out can be done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back