Dramatically different ratios!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all... A quick question!

Over the past few weeks, my morning insulin ratio (insulin:carbs) has dropped (or risen, I can never work out which way it goes 😛) from 1:5 to 1:10... Basically, to cover the same breakfast I've been having for AGES, I now need 4 units of novorapid rather than 8. It's very strange and I can't really think of anything significant that's changed. Does anybody have any ideas as to the possible reasons for this?! I'm just a little confused (but not complaining at all!! 🙂)

When were you diagnosed? End of honeymoon?

Have you lost or gained weight at all recently? I find even a tiny change in my weight throws everything off and I have to start again. Or have you been particularly stressed/busy recently? Have your other ratios remained the same?

Hello all... A quick question!

Over the past few weeks, my morning insulin ratio (insulin:carbs) has dropped (or risen, I can never work out which way it goes 😛) from 1:5 to 1:10... Basically, to cover the same breakfast I've been having for AGES, I now need 4 units of novorapid rather than 8. It's very strange and I can't really think of anything significant that's changed. Does anybody have any ideas as to the possible reasons for this?! I'm just a little confused (but not complaining at all!! 🙂)

Hmm are you busier than usual ? eating less ? if not then its The Diabetes Fairy again !! shes visited me this week too :D

Hi Munjeeta, if you've been following my experiences at all you'll probably know that my ratios have changed dramatically too, without any real rhyme or reason. Not quite so much as yours, I have 6 units for breakfast that ysed to be 8 units, approx 9 (was 14) at lunch, and between 8-12 for evening meal (was 18+). My basal is 9, was 20.

Has your basal changed significantly too? Maybe you're just taking more interest in your control over the past few weeks - I have noticed you seem to have become more positive generally about your diabetes. You said also that your portion sizes have decreased, although that doesn't change the ratios - maybe it does, as your body is better able to cope with smaller quantities of carbs?

It's comming to the end of term, have you been joining in withthe fun activities at school, or maybe feel less stressed at the prospect of a long break?

When were you diagnosed? End of honeymoon?

DOH! I just realised thats backwards and I misread the original post.

Hi Munjeeta...

Me and Nathan are having similar problems....not sure as to why yet though..got quite a few factors...age, hormones, weather, etc...
We dont carb count and he was well out of the honeymoon phase nearly 2yrs ago, approx

Heidi
🙂

Thanks for responses, sorry for lack of follow up, just been manically busy so guess that answers one of the questions 😛

Have you lost or gained weight at all recently? I find even a tiny change in my weight throws everything off and I have to start again. Or have you been particularly stressed/busy recently? Have your other ratios remained the same?

Um not really... Maybe a pound or 2, but nothing that I would consider significant. And no, I seem to be needing slightly less insulin across teh board, it was only my morning one I noticed because it was so dramatic a decrease... And yes - very stressed and very busy!

Hmm are you busier than usual ? eating less ? if not then its The Diabetes Fairy again !! shes visited me this week too

Possibly eating less; but with ratios isn't that the freedom of it?! Hehe... Diabetes fairy it is! 🙄

Has your basal changed significantly too? Maybe you're just taking more interest in your control over the past few weeks - I have noticed you seem to have become more positive generally about your diabetes. You said also that your portion sizes have decreased, although that doesn't change the ratios - maybe it does, as your body is better able to cope with smaller quantities of carbs?
Have you increased your basal recently?

I have increased my evening basal by 2 units... Which I guess could be the cause as it's probably still floating around my system somewhere, good thinking!! And yes, Northerner, maybe I am just an anomally 😛

It's comming to the end of term, have you been joining in withthe fun activities at school, or maybe feel less stressed at the prospect of a long break?

haha... Most definitely!! I have been running around like a headless chicken at school but definitely NOT less stressed, not yet anyway, 1 and a half days to go... 🙂

Thank you... I think the conclusion possibly is a mixture of eating less carbs and my increase in basal...

As you've increased your basal then previously your novorapid could have been doing some of the basal work, but doesn't need to anymore.
Also I have read on another forum that somebody was saying that ratio's are only really good for a certain daily carb range. So if you change the amount of carbs you are eating then your ratios will probably change, even though in theory they shouldn't

Last edited:
As you've increased your basal then previously your novorapid could have been doing some of the basal work, but doesn't need to anymore.
Also I have read on another forum that somebody was saying that ratio's are only really good for a certain daily carb range. So if you change the amount of carbs you are eating then your ratios will probably change, even though in theory they shouldn't

ooo thats interesting lol.

I was up at 13 units of lantus 4 weeks ago and now the doc has brought me down to 9 and im fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back