Dr.Dhand slams the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some good info there, but it's just not put across very well and a bit too rant-y. It's no different to the advice David Unwin and others have been publishing about avoiding starchy carbs and not going low fat.

Some NHS areas are taking a different approach.

Some NHS areas are taking a different approach.
Let's see what NHS Health A-Z has to say about T2D:

What is type 2 diabetes?

- Type 2 diabetes is a common condition that causes the level of sugar (glucose) in the blood to become too high....
- It's a long-term condition that can affect your everyday life. You may need to change your diet, take medicines and have regular check-ups....
- It's caused by problems with a chemical in the body (hormone) called insulin.

No mention of remission, over 15 years after Roy Taylor and his team at Newcastle University on the Counterpoint study proved it was possible by dieting to eliminate excess fat from the liver and pancreas. Reports from David Unwin on the Norwood Surgery peogramme and Roy Taylor based on the NHS Path to Remission programme indicate 90% plus of pre-diabetics and the newly diagnosed can potentially reverse their condition.

When the Counterpoint results were published Roy Taylor called for research into optimum methods of losing weight and lifelong maintenance. What has the NHS or anyone else done about that?

It is an scandal that the NHS has not equipped NHS Health A-Z, GPs, DNs and their patients with up to date information on dieting to achieve fatty liver reversal, T2D remission and a healthy weight.

You can eat many types of foods

- There's nothing you cannot eat if you have type 2 diabetes, but you'll have to limit certain foods....
- You should eat a wide range of foods – including fruit, vegetables and some starchy foods like pasta, potatoes and rice....
- If you need to change your diet, it might be easier to make small changes every week....
- Information about food can be found on ...
Diabetes UK: what is a healthy, balanced diet for diabetes?

No wonder many of us were bemused by the advice we were given on diet.

A friend of mine became pre-diabetic after I did and he was sent on a diabetes prevention programme same as I was. He said he wasn't told the same as me about eating high glycaemic carbs like bread and potatoes.

Another friend of mine is diabetic and is at a slimming club trying to lose weight. She said they told her pasta and potatoes are free foods and to eat as much as she likes. I have suggested taking care as the slimming club leaders are not able to advise on medical problems and, being diabetic, it may not be a good idea unless she tests herself and finds she can get away with it.

I cannot make up my mind about low fat. I like David Unwin and he talks a lot of sense. I have one of his books. I do tend to watch the fat though as mine went up when I started eating loads of fat. I am not saying it was the fat it may be getting older it is just naturally happening but, personally, I just prefer to do stick to unsaturated and polyunsaturated and keep sat fats down.

At the risk of sounding like I am constantly arguing with more experienced posters I suppose the NHS think it is easier to suggest people have smaller portions of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc as they may get more compliance than telling them not to eat them at all. The modern diet is very high carb and ultra processed food which is probably why so many people are diabetic in the first place. I certainly don't think it is the patient's fault and Alexander Van Tulliken said that very thing the other week on the BBC programme. My GP said the same thing.

Personally, I don't care about eating pasta, rice or potatoes but everyone is not like that. I don't care about sweet foods either but, again, everyone is not the same.

Don't "shoot me at dawn" but has this research of Dr Unwin's been done via the usual research methods i.e. control groups with a lot of people involved and then peer reviewed. I can look this up myself but I am sure some people here will know anyway. I believe in David Unwin and Professor Taylor and Michael Moseley has said the same thing but, unless it has been totally proven and peer reviewed, the NHS very rarely accept it.

In a nutshell I am all for Dr Unwin, Prof Taylor and Michael Moseley and think the NHS probably should change their thinking.

At the risk of sounding like I am constantly arguing with more experienced posters I suppose the NHS think it is easier to suggest people have smaller portions of bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc as they may get more compliance than telling them not to eat them at all. The modern diet is very high carb and ultra processed food which is probably why so many people are diabetic in the first place. I certainly don't think it is the patient's fault and Alexander Van Tulliken said that very thing the other week on the BBC programme. My GP said the same thing.

Personally, I don't care about eating pasta, rice or potatoes but everyone is not like that. I don't care about sweet foods either but, again, everyone is not the same.

Don't "shoot me at dawn" but has this research of Dr Unwin's been done via the usual research methods i.e. control groups with a lot of people involved and then peer reviewed. I can look this up myself but I am sure some people here will know anyway. I believe in David Unwin and Professor Taylor and Michael Moseley has said the same thing but, unless it has been totally proven and peer reviewed, the NHS very rarely accept it.

In a nutshell I am all for Dr Unwin, Prof Taylor and Michael Moseley and think the NHS probably should change their thinking.
@Maz2. Would you like to start a new topic to debate the points you raise, or shall I do so?

Dr Unwin did not wait for peer reviewed papers or NICE to change their guidelines. He regarded each patient's T2D as a puzzle to be solved. As far as I know he started by advising them to cut sugar and sugary foods from their diets. That worked and he graduated to the nutrient dense diet he recommends today. He runs after hours T2D workshops for his patients and their familes so there is plenty of feedback. In other words an applied scientific method of observation and analysis. If you haven't seen it, The nuts & bolts of drug free T2 diabetes remission by Dr David Unwin

A friend of mine became pre-diabetic after I did and he was sent on a diabetes prevention programme same as I was. He said he wasn't told the same as me about eating high glycaemic carbs like bread and potatoes.

Another friend of mine is diabetic and is at a slimming club trying to lose weight. She said they told her pasta and potatoes are free foods and to eat as much as she likes. I have suggested taking care as the slimming club leaders are not able to advise on medical problems and, being diabetic, it may not be a good idea unless she tests herself and finds she can get away with it.

I cannot make up my mind about low fat. I like David Unwin and he talks a lot of sense. I have one of his books. I do tend to watch the fat though as mine went up when I started eating loads of fat. I am not saying it was the fat it may be getting older it is just naturally happening but, personally, I just prefer to do stick to unsaturated and polyunsaturated and keep sat fats down.
I struggle with saturated fat as I haven't eaten that way since my Dad had high cholesterol in 1983. I tried cream on my strawberries and felt nauseous for hours. I agree with you

@Maz2. Would you like to start a new topic to debate the points you raise, or shall I do so?

Dr Unwin did not wait for peer reviewed papers or NICE to change their guidelines. He regarded each patient's T2D as a puzzle to be solved. As far as I know he started by advising them to cut sugar and sugary foods from their diets. That worked and he graduated to the nutrient dense diet he recommends today. He runs after hours T2D workshops for his patients and their familes so there is plenty of feedback. In other words an applied scientific method of observation and analysis. If you haven't seen it, The nuts & bolts of drug free T2 diabetes remission by Dr David Unwin

I agree, I can't give up breakfast cereal. I get so hungry. I had bacon and an omelette at 11.30 this morning and my tummy is rumbling?? My current BS is 8.5? One size does not fit all

Thank you I will have a look at that.

I struggle with saturated fat as I haven't eaten that way since my Dad had high cholesterol in 1983. I tried cream on my strawberries and felt nauseous for hours. I agree with you
I think everyone has to work out what is best for them don't they.

You can start a new one if you want to if people want to have a discussion about it. I don't want to be seen to be doing too much "arguing" as I am pre-diabetic, normal, pre-diabetic and not having to live with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes at the moment. I come here because I like to hear other people's views and hear about their control and achievements.

I have always found this site extremely helpful and I think this Forum for helping me get back initially to normal levels although it has now gone back up a bit. I only ever got back to 40 despite all my efforts (from 42/43/42

I think you will find the NHS advice to have a good dose of carbs with every meal is not based on any good science either so can't be trusted either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back