Doxycycline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is the latest antibiotic I am on for my foot wounds. However, since I started it my TIR has fallen from nudging 90% to just over 50% going both inexplicitly both high and low. This week for instance with a similar evening starting point, similar food and the same insulin dose I was 11.1 one day and 4.2 the next time. This is really p*ss*ing me off! Has anybody else had this antibiotic and did it affect your BG?

Doxycycline is known to interfere with insulin. It can make glucose levels go high or low, mechanism is unknown. It can take a while for levels to normalise after completing a course of doxycycline

I did and it did affect BGs quite a lot @MikeyBikey. I finished it a while ago (3 weeks?) and I'm still unstable, but I'm unsure if it's other drugs I am on for BP.

I have been on the other drugs (Atorvastatin, Lisinopril, mini-Aspirin and Gabapentin) somsure it is the Doxycycline! :(

Doxycycline is known to interfere with insulin. It can make glucose levels go high or low, mechanism is unknown. It can take a while for levels to normalise after completing a course of doxycycline

It's as if the insulin profiles are doing their own thing with time shifts and effect! Combined with the phantom pain I am feeling quite low! :(

Yes, though I am unsure of dates etc.

Yes, I was on Doxycycline last Christmas for pneumonia in hospital!! This plus steroids, tamiflu and hospital food meant I am still struggling to get my numbers back to pre pneumonia levels!!!

Yes, though I am unsure of dates etc.
If the meds were prescribed by your GP, the dates should be in your online notes? If as a hospital inpatient, your discharge letter would give decent clues?

Just a thought.

Not the HS I expected. FOTF came in as I injected and BG continued to climb. I waited the usual 30 minutes and on checking was plunging! Bl**dy Doxycycline!

Screenshot_20240512-084017.png

If the meds were prescribed by your GP, the dates should be in your online notes? If as a hospital inpatient, your discharge letter would give decent clues?

Just a thought.
Good thinking!

I had my last Doxycycline yesterday morning after a discussion about stomach problems and weight loss. BGs are still all over but then yesterday I was ready for long physio session but ended up with only 25 minutes because of serious transport issues. Will see how I go over next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back