Down to 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Not quite hypo, but I feel awful I'm cold, shaky, dizzy and feeling queasy. I've had a slice of toast (white) and jam, I hope that brings me up again soon.

take it easy helen i had similar the other day at 4.5..which is low for me..steff also advised to drink plenty ...you may need some more food later keep an eye on it
amx

Hopefully, one day Alison, you will be happy at that kind of level.🙂 At the moment it will feel like a hypo because you are used to higher levels. Hope you feel better soon.🙂

Never had a hypo myself, thank Goodness, sounds rotten. Hope you feel better shortly, Alison.

xx

I'd echo what Northerner said, Alison. That's a really good score, but when you're used to running higher, you'll feel absolute rubbish, just due to the contrast. You're doing the right things to deal with it, and you should feel better soon, fingers crossed!

I tested 3.5 earlier before evening meal and I felt no different.

My body tells me nothing whether I am low-3s or 10+.

I know I should have felt really chuffed getting a score like that, but all I felt (emotionally) was scared because I felt so bad physically. I'm back up in the nines now and feeling much better.

Thx everyone for the reassurance.

alrite now hun ...? you will get used to it...and it will get better and god only Knows why it happens ..sleep well tonight🙂

Good morning Alsion , how are you feeling today? x

I hope you're feeling better. As Northener said, if the levels have been high then when you are within normal ranges it will feel like a hypo. You'll soon get used to the new levels.

As your blood sugars come down you start to feel more comfortable at those levels and will not feel unwell and need to take on any carbs. White bread and jam will push you up fairly quickly and as you said pushed you up into the 9's, I wonde rif next time you could try taking something with a lower GI so that it won't raise you quite so high. I know it's not easy, if you feel low you feel low.

Woke in the middle of the night and tested at 2.9, the lowest I've been since I started testing. Had some dried fruit but couldn't get back to sleep, too scared. Tested at 6.4 this morning. Feeling like death warmed up and my brother's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Question 1: How low should you go before phoning for an ambulance?

Question 2: Should I have a small snack last thing, would that keep my BGL up enough to keep this from happening again? Two of the three hypos I've had were at night.

Question 3: For those of you on statins. I was told to take mine at night before bed. Is it possible that's what's driving my levels down? Have any of you had this happen to you?

Question 4: Can I have a pint of your finest please barkeep?

If you can phone for an ambulance then you likely don't need one. What I mean is if you are mentally and physically able to use the phone then you are also capable of getting something to eat.

statins are usually given at night and they shouldn't have any effect on your blood sugar levels

I forget what medication are you on? Because if you are eating snacks to stop you going low then you are putting unneeded calories. If you want a snack for hunger then thats different. If you are having frequent lows then it might be worth looking at reducing or changing timing of medication to prevent these.

Did you treat with some fast acting carbs first before the fruit? 2.9 is a hypo so you need something fast followed up by something like fruit.

I hope you are feeling better now

Thanks Nikki.

I don't normally eat snacks at all. I haven't been that hungry which makes sticking to the low carb, low fat, low salt, low sugar thing fairly easy. I was so dizzy last night that I was afraid to tackle the stairs and the dried fruit was all I had to hand, I'll buy some jelly beans today if I remember. As for the statins, I was just scrabbling around looking for a reason why my levels would fall at night, don't they usually rise?

stairs and hypos don't mix

Very good point, Alison - always have food to hand so you don't have to tackle stairs when hypoglycaemic, even more important at night when it's dark and you're groggy from sleep as well as hypoglycaemia. I'm sure my partner would add, he prefers me to have quiet food - eg ready open packet of jelly babies or dried apricots (my other favourite), rather than struggling to open a new packet. I keep insulin, blood testing kit, glasses / contact lenses, tissues and sweets / apricots in a bumbag, which hangs from bedpost when I'm sleeping at home, or comes to whichever bed / tent / sleeping place I end up, which works fine for me, but may not be necessary for non-campers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back