Don't throw out cold pasta - 'resistant starch' could ward off diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Positano is an Italian restaurant in the middle of Guildford run by a gregarious family of Italian culinary geniuses: not an obvious setting for a science experiment.

Food, wine and a vast Italian family might otherwise undermine the sober accumulation of data.

Unless, that is, you want to film an experiment about pasta. Or, more specifically, why leftover pasta might be good for you.

That is what I was tasked with doing for the BBC, under the expert guidance of Dr Denise Robertson, a senior nutrition scientist from the University of Surrey. The subject of our experiment? Resistant starch.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...old-pasta-resistant-starch-ward-diabetes.html

Now that's interesting, I've never found pasta to be a problem for me spike wise, but on reading that I realise that maybe it's my cooking habits! I only eat pasta cold or frozen then reheated because I cook lots of things on Sunday freeze and then I just have to reheat. One of my favourites is vegetable pasta bake. Weirdly I do this with pasta because I don't like the texture of freshly cooked pasta, it has more bite when cooled or twice cooked because it dries out. Well I never 🙂

Positano is an Italian restaurant in the middle of Guildford run by a gregarious family of Italian culinary geniuses: not an obvious setting for a science experiment.
Food, wine and a vast Italian family might otherwise undermine the sober accumulation of data.
Unless, that is, you want to film an experiment about pasta. Or, more specifically, why leftover pasta might be good for you.
That is what I was tasked with doing for the BBC, under the expert guidance of Dr Denise Robertson, a senior nutrition scientist from the University of Surrey. The subject of our experiment? Resistant starch.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...old-pasta-resistant-starch-ward-diabetes.html
Sounds fascinating. I have been eating cold noodles in China for three weeks now. Not by choice, just the way they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back