dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiritduck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i was told i had type two diabetes maybe a couple of years ago,
tried to fix it, to much information thrown at me, did a class with a very pompous nurse, who spoke to us like children,and that was
last time i went,
i have been playing hide and seek with the doctor ever since, he finally got me to go see him,
next thing i know, my blood pressure is too high,more pills,more pills,
and my blood sugar is far to high, start on metformin, made me sick,
he changed it for a slow release one
, but saying stuff like, you could die, and you could lose a leg though this,
if i didn't feel unwell before i do now,
but i slept on it, and when i woke this morning
, it hit me, every one saying, "you need these meds, take more pills, eat less move more", not one nurse or doctor has said OK, you have this,we can do this or that, what do you want to do?"
so i made my own mind up
I'm not taking any more of those awful pills, and i have emailed the doctors, and told them
i will take my BP meds, and the others that I'm on, but i do not want any more diabetes appointments, or diabetes meds, and further more i have removed my consent for them to treat me for diabetes
i know a lot of you will judge me, and think I'm stupid, but ive had enough
i don't drink, i don't smoke, i rarely go out, and now I'm being told what i can and cant have to eat,
to quote Kenneth Williams in his last diary entry
"oh, Whats the bloody point!"

good luck to you all
but I'm getting of this merry go round
spiritduck

@Spiritduck What was your HbA1C? You might be able to manage without the tablets. I can understand if they made you feel ill. Perhaps you can control the diabetes yourself?

You can ignore it, but - as a wise person once said - it won’t ignore you…

Eating well can be a pleasure and there will be lots you can eat on a low carb diet.

(snip) , did a class with a very pompous nurse, who spoke to us like children... (snip) i have been playing hide and seek with the doctor ever since
From being treated as a child by your nurse to acting like a child with your doctor.
i do not want any more diabetes appointments, or diabetes meds, and further more i have removed my consent for them to treat me for diabetes
That's quite brave, a 'Do Not Resuscitate' is a big step, but you are an adult. And you can always change your mind.

There are always options, and where there is life, there's hope.

Go have a look at this thread before you give up entirely - it might inspire you a bit

You absolutely can improve your situation while eating lovely food - I did and have been doing for three years - possibly with no meds as I do. You can take control in a way that suits you. Sorry you have had a series of bad experiences. As you say you can do X, Y and Z and it will make a good difference and you can do it in a way that fits with your life so you don't lose the things that make your life worth living.

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/lets-learn-how-to-bake-cook-keto.90754/

You have come on this forum because deep down you want to actually find a way that you can manage to improve your diabetes and there are certainly people on here who have managed to do just that from quite a high HbA1C without medication.
There are many foods which you can have which are both tasty, satisfying and will be an enjoyable way of eating. It is not a DIET but a new way of eating.
Basing meals on meat, fish, cheese, eggs, nuts, full fat dairy with only small portions of high carbohydrate foods.
Before you dismiss doing anything to help have a look at this link which is a low carb approach with real foods so easier to fit into family life. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
I personally follow a low carb regime but still have things like full fat Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs with bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes or scrambled egg with smoked salmon, cheese on toast with poached egg for breakfast. For lunch a selection of cooked meat or fish with salad stuff and 2 crackers and an apple, For dinner, meat, fish, chilli, curry, with vegetables or salad and pudding of berries and cream or sugar free jelly with berries and cream of Kvarg deserts.
I am able to tolerate a small amount of bread but don't have rice, or normal pasta, pastry and very limited low sugar breakfast cereal. But I find this is a sustainable regime and don't miss any of the high carb foods.
I know you get bombarded with lots of different opinions but on here people will tell you of what works for them but at the end of the day you have to decide what might work for you.
My motivation was that I would not want my family to have to become my carer if those complications which you probably hear about actually occur, that is far more likely to happen if your blood glucose is uncontrolled.

Do not give up before you have looked around the forum and the links posted. Because you can do it.
You may find it useful to speak to the help line of Diabetes UK, the number is at the top.

@Leadinglights blimey my dietary routine is almost the same but don't do much greek yoghurt,(yuck), or fish except those tiny ones you find packed into small flat tins on toast, yum. To be honest I have been lucky, liking many of the alternative foods anyway but am really enjoying the different things I now eat. The one big stumbling block is eating out on the hoof for lunch etc, very difficult as all hoof food is geared towards non diabetics, eg greggs, chippy, sandwich meal deals, pastie shops, ice cream vans etc etc, miss that. Love the Kvargs, check out Lidls high protein choc deserts, low carb but a tiny bit high for me to eat a whole one so eat half at a time, made by milibona, if you like choc flavour they are amazing, hard to find as they get snapped up.
BGs are averaging 5.6 - 6.0 mmol/l week in week out so am happy.

@Leadinglights blimey my dietary routine is almost the same but don't do much greek yoghurt,(yuck), or fish except those tiny ones you find packed into small flat tins on toast, yum. To be honest I have been lucky, liking many of the alternative foods anyway but am really enjoying the different things I now eat. The one big stumbling block is eating out on the hoof for lunch etc, very difficult as all hoof food is geared towards non diabetics, eg greggs, chippy, sandwich meal deals, pastie shops, ice cream vans etc etc, miss that. Love the Kvargs, check out Lidls high protein choc deserts, low carb but a tiny bit high for me to eat a whole one so eat half at a time, made by milibona, if you like choc flavour they are amazing, hard to find as they get snapped up.
BGs are averaging 5.6 - 6.0 mmol/l week in week out so am happy.
Yes I can only eat half a Kvarg or protein yoghurt. Some places do do salad bowls and I have had the odd sandwich recently and just left the crusts.
Must try the choc deserts.

From being treated as a child by your nurse to acting like a child with your doctor.

That's quite brave, a 'Do Not Resuscitate' is a big step, but you are an adult. And you can always change your mind.

There are always options, and where there is life, there's hope.
I'm not acting like a child with my doctor,
I just don't want to play the game he wants to play
and it is not a do not resuscitate,
one day I will die of something
if its this then so be it
I'm not running towards the monster,
I'm just not fighting or getting out of its way anymore
spiritduck

I think the game your doctor is trying to play is how to prevent diabetes complications.

Type 2 diabetes when untreated isn’t something that you’ll suddenly die from. It is more a negative impact on quality of life, tiredness, peeing all the time, and gradually getting more and more complications. I won’t go into those as I imagine you’re already aware and already been told of them, but not taking care of it is more a long unpleasant life than a sudden death.

You do have a choice, but it’s choosing one or more of diet, exercise, medications, or accepting the high risk of complications. If it’s a normal diet that’s important to you, then there are medications that can help manage your blood sugars alongside that.

From the moment that I was diagnosed, I went low carb.
I always felt far better eating low carb anyway, and from that moment, diabetes has not been a problem.
I have despaired over the things said to me and others about what to believe and what to eat - but it has not deterred me from maintaining myself and eventually being told I was in remission - as far as I was concerned that happened back in 2016 when I learned what the GP's printout of a high carb diet had done.
I did go on the 'education course' as required, but it was pretty useless, and one of the people who already had problems with his feet has lost one leg below the knee and the remaining food was all bandaged up and in a sort of rubber sling when I saw them fairly recently - I wished I'd spoken to him when on the course when I realised who he was.
I find eating low carb is not a problem - I can go on doing this for the rest of my life. The blood tasting kit I got showed me I was doing the right thing early on, and after than the annual tests confirmed it.
Although the advice you had seems to have been put to you very poorly phrased there is no sense in not caring what happens to you. It really can turn out very badly.
I don't need tablets, just eating the right foods is all it takes. Having pork chops and mushrooms, or tuna salad for breakfast might seen rather odd at first, but it sets me up for the day and I can go out and enjoy myself whenever I like. Life is good.

I'm not acting like a child with my doctor,
I just don't want to play the game he wants to play
and it is not a do not resuscitate,
one day I will die of something
if its this then so be it
I'm not running towards the monster,
I'm just not fighting or getting out of its way anymore
spiritduck

I don’t see it as a game. After all, your doctor has no benefit from it, does he? The advice he’s given is for your benefit. By ignoring it, you don’t hurt him or get back at him - you only hurt yourself.

As @Lucyr says, a death from diabetes is slow and painful. To be clear - and I promise you I’m not playing any game - diabetic retinopathy is one of the main causes of blindness; diabetes is the most common cause of end-stage kidney disease in the U.K.; and every hour someone with diabetes has a toe, foot or leg amputated.

That’s your enemy - not your doctor. Take one day at a time and do your best to eat well, then repeat. The ‘diabetes diet’ doesn’t have to mean deprivation. You can eat well and control the diabetes. It’s a sneaky enemy, but every step you take defeats it, and all those little steps add up.

@Spiritduck nobody is judging you, and it's ultimately up to you how you manage your diabetes and engage with your GP, but also, there are things you can do to push the monster away, and only you can decide if they're things that you want to do, or can do. No one's telling you what you can or can't eat, that's up to you too.
Can you could consider changing to a different GP surgery if the one that you're at doesn't suit you? Not all doctors are the same, you may be able to find one who listens more, or isn't quite as busy and has more time to work with you.
I don't know what advice they gave you that you didn't like, but like Inka says, they are trying to keep you as well as possible.
I've pushed my diabetes "monster" a bit further away by changing my diet and losing weight, and I did this under my own steam by reading up on diabetes, with the two books by Professor Roy Taylor being my main inspiration. You can too, but no one is going to make you.
Whatever you do, please try and find a way to manage your diabetes better for your own sake, you have an inherent worth as a human being, and are worthy of looking after yourself and not staring down the barrel of diabetes.
I don't want diabetes to do bad things to you, and there's things you can do to minimise that.
If our positions were reversed, would you advise us to disengage with the GP and ignore our diabetes? You have the power to change course. The time might not be right now, but you can decide next week, or next month or whenever if you change your mind.
We're here to support you when you want that support, Sarah

@Spiritduck You could phone Diabetes U.K. on Monday for support (number at the top of this page); like @Windy says, you could get a new doctor; you could speak to your surgery about the way you’re feeling; or if you’re feeling really bad and have no support near you, you can always phone the Samaritans:

https://www.samaritans.org/

Nobody here is criticising you or having a go. People know how wearing diabetes can be, and are concerned for you. Look after yourself.

Hi @Spiritduck, just checking in to see how you are feeling today x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back