Don't hate GP receptionists for being grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
They are portrayed as power-crazed dragons who fiercely guard their lair, but GP receptionists should be given a break, says researchers

A new study has found that the receptionist's bad reputation is unjustified because they are under incredible pressure to make important decisions regarding a patient's health.

What's more,they are only given minimal training to do so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...heyre-pressure-qualified-says-new-report.html

I have to say the receptionists at my 6 Doctor practice have never been grumpy.
Always polite and friendly and go that extra mile. 🙂

I have to say the receptionists at my 6 Doctor practice have never been grumpy.
Always polite and friendly and go that extra mile. 🙂

Same here. The ones at my surgery have always been very helpful and supportive.

I was a GP receptionist many moons ago and was never grumpy. I used to love having a chat with the GP's, nurses, patients. Especially the patients they do like to pass the time of day with you. Used to have a great laugh with them too and always had a kind word for the elderly patients who lived on their own cos I always thought that I might be the only person they spoke to that day so nice to put a smile on their faces. One little lady used to always call me Rose and many many times corrected her but she always called me Rose, so I just answered to it. One day I said to her, I have some news for you I am leaving to go to another job Jean, and I have one more thing to tell you my name's Catherine not Rose. She just looked at me and said that's a shame I will miss you. Good luck in your new job Rose!!!! :D:D:D

Not knowing the procedure for getting testing strips at my new surgery (never had a meter before, and new to this practice and PCT), yesterday I rang to ask how to go about getting some. The receptionist said the proper way is to request a prescription, in person or in writing... but that as it was a Friday afternoon and life's to short for hassle, she would print one off for me, get it signed by the GP and send it off to the chemist for me to collect. Wow! :D

Good grief LeeLee ! Hang on to her!

I must admit my GP's receptionists are always polite... (I'm not going to give them helpful)

However, they have been lumbered with an inflexible system for booking appointments (last time I spoke to them, all diabetes nurse appointments had to be on a Monday! even though the nurse is in at least 3 days of the week) and I think they get much grief for that.

Used to have one receptionist who was horrible rude and just generally cantankerous,now she has left I have a lovely lady who smiles and even calls me by my first name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back