Donnarob - for the ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnarob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi again,
Thanks for the welcome, I feel so much better now that I've found you, as I need the support. I'm 51 years old and live in Southern Norway with my husband and two teenagers. I also have 4 cats and 2 collie cross dogs!

I have a question which is posed to the ladies of the forum. I am experiencing perimenopausal symptoms, mainly hot flashes, night sweats etc and haven't had a monthly period for 4 months now. I wondered if there was any link between fluctuating hormones and high blood glucose levels?

My blood glucose level was 16 and in the past week since being diagnosed, has fluctated between 13 and 7. I really notice a big difference when I go for a brisk walk (it has to be brisk in these freezing conditions)!

What I have noticed, is the dramatic difference since cutting out rice, pasta, bread and potatoes. Interestingly, I got a spike after eating a tangerine, so will have to watch fruit in general. Pity, because I love fruit.

Before I was diagnosed, I would say that our diet was very balanced and healthy. However, we were guilty of eating a bit too much in the way of carbs.

I don't know how things work in the UK, but I was given a monitor, test strips (a year's supply) straight away. I test, test and test again. The doctor told me everyone is different, but to concentrate on cutting down on carbs, get even more exercise and watch for which foods gave elevated spikes.

Thanks again,
Donna

p.s. It's been snowing and we have over 4 inches of snow!

Hi Donna

I can't really comment on the perimenopause as I am not there yet.

I have read though that the menopause can make blood glucose levels more difficult to manage due to fluctuating hormone levels.

Certainly a lot of us on here see are levels vary depending on the time of the month.

Other hormones (mainly the stress ones) can cause Blood Sugars to rise as can some medications like steroids.

Exercise can help the body use insulin better - though blood sugars can rise initially - the effect of the exercise can last for several hours and with some people days.

Hope someone else will come along.

Hi Margie, Still trying to navigate myself around here, thanks for the reply.

I got may initial diagnosis by accident when I went for a smear test of all things! The new doc just wanted to take bloods to get a blueprint of me!

My levels have never been so high since my initial diagnosis and, I do think that stress played a big part in that. Especially the second test when I was told!

I'm on 1 tab of Metformin and the doc wants me to increase to 2 next week. I find that I can minimise side effects by halving the tablet and spreading them out over the day with meals.

Thanks again,
Donna 😛

Donna re metformin - you must be on the standard one of you can split it. If you continue with side effects ask if you can try the slow release version - they can cause side-effects but tend to be milder (but has to be taken as a whole tablet, as chewing sort of reverts it back to immediate release)

The slow release is called Metformin modified release or glucophage. Metformin works in several ways including slowing down the rate at which your liver requests glucose is released into your blood stream from the bodies reserves.

Hi Donna, I won't comment on the hormones, as a 52 year old man I don't have the same to go through! Although I will say that insulin is also a hormone, as is cortisol (stress hormone) and all are part of our endocrine system - one hormone often has an effect on another so could certainly be contributing to flucuations in blood sugar levels.

You don't need to cut out your carbs entirely, just use your meter to discover what types and quantities you can tolerate. It's very early days yet, but be sure to record everything so that you can build a pattern of your reactions that will be of enormous use to you in the future. As for fruit - this is fine, and some fruits will affect your levels more than others, some people find strawberries are fine. If you eat the fruit as part of a meal this will slow the digestion and cause less of a spike.

Exercise will do your levels the world of good! It increases the insulin receptors in your cells and makes you much more sensitive to it, thus lowering your levels. If you can keep a sustained levels of exercise this will have beneficial effects long beyond the time you have completed your walks 🙂

p.s. I love Norway, this is a picture of a waterfall on the train journey from Bergen to Flam - fantastic countryside and wonderful, friendly people - I didn't want to come home! 🙂

wfall-1.jpg

I am sorry no one has been able to answer your specific question yet.

I did a search of the forum (if you look along near the top you'll spot the button). I didn't look at all the threads that came up most were about periods. However, in one of them AlisonM said she was diagnosed as diabetic and menopausal at the same time. She is on holiday at the moment, but perhaps when she gets back she will be able to advise.

Hi Donna, I'm 52 and have been having on and off periods for about the last 3 years. It has been some months since I had a period, although I do get premenstrual signs (sore boobs, keep peeing [more than normal] puffy ankls etc..). I think part of the thing that pushes me up a bit is my love of chocolate.

Sorry if it doesn't answer your question fully, but we are all individuals, so it affects us all in different ways.

I cant answer your specific question - I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.🙂Bev

Sorry, I don't know either. Just wanted to say that the advice given in Norway sounds a lot better than the advice given here. Also it's good to know you get all the test strips you need.

Love the pic too Northe, I want to gooo.

Hi donna

Not quite got to the memopause yet, but my experience with T1 diabetes and the monthly cycle, yes the changing hormones do have an effect on control, so another reason for me to dread when it does, which isn't that far off now😱

Mind you I do ponder with what you are saying about how you got your dignoises as I wonder whether perhaps you are LADA, sometime refered to has adult late onset T1 diabetes.. As this would also expalin some of your problems with control, more so if your BG's are constantly rising...

It may be worth discussing this with your doctor, and perhaps asking for a C-peptide or GAD test to get a better picture on what is really happening..

As to snow, I'm going to start getting envious as I love the stuff

Well I am 54 and have had the menopause 5 years ago and went through all the night sweats and puffy ankles sleepless nights. The perimenopause did spike my bloods up and then down quite a lot. But as being type 1 managed to cope with putting the insulin up and down. But did get H.R.T for a little bit and it helped.

donnarob

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for being so welcoming. I'm so glad I found you as I felt quite isolated getting the news in Norway. All in all, I think the Norwegian health service is pretty good.

Have a nice evening.

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back