Done it twice now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi everyone, just need some advice. I only started using the freestyle libre 2 in October last year became type 3c in September 2021. I’m getting on really well with it apart from twice I’ve managed to catch it whilst undressing and it’s come flying off. I’ve been looking at some sort of protective sticker but not sure if these are just a fashion accessory or are actually protective. I don’t like the watchstrap style ones. I don’t want to be paying silly money either. Any advice please.

I used to use Cutiderm or Tegaderm, they are just clear film patches but after 2 years I started reacting to them so I switched to the strap armbands, the patches were ok but they do end up peeling at the edges, getting grotty looking with fluff sticking to the lifted bits etc so I much prefer the strap xx

Thank you for that Kaylz,I’ve just found some CGM covers 40 pack for £13.99,might give these a try.

I used to just tape over it with Micropore tape, but I invested in a watch style strap last summer and wouldn't be without it now. Provides better protection and no peeling edges and not shabby looking after a few days and it was cheaper than £13.99 and more environmentally friendly.

I used to just tape over it with Micropore tape, but I invested in a watch style strap last summer and wouldn't be without it now. Provides better protection and no peeling edges and not shabby looking after a few days and it was cheaper than £13.99 and more environmentally friendly.
Hi, I do like the look of the watch wraps but worry they’ll move or be irritating. Are they adjustable?

You can adjust the length of the elastic strap and they come in different lengths. I got the 40cm one as I was concerned 30cm might be just a bit too tight because I have quite muscular arms, but I think 30cm would probably have been exactly right. Easy enough to just chop a bit off the length though if there is too much overlap. I had a little bit of irritation from the strap adjuster on the underside of my arm initially, but I adjusted the position of the adjustor so that it now doesn't bother me at all. Mine is just a 3D printed rigid plastic one but I think you can also get silicone ones which may be more comfortable still being more flexible but perhaps don't offer quite so much protection. I have pinged my strap a few time when it has caught in clothing (sports bra straps are Libre's nemesis) but the strap has taken the strike and left the Libre safe. I also like the fact I can see it in the shower because I tend to forget which arm my Libre is on and I use exfoliating gloves because I have dry skin and I have scrubbed a couple of Libre loose when my mind has wandered and I have forgotten that I was supposed to "go carefully on the back of that arm". No problem now as the strap clearly reminds me that I need to be careful with that arm. I have toyed with buying another strap in a more neutral shade for when I am dressed up in the summer but not had much cause to get dressed up much in the past few years and just took the strap off on the one occasion that I did wear a sleeveless dress.

You can adjust the length of the elastic strap and they come in different lengths. I got the 40cm one as I was concerned 30cm might be just a bit too tight because I have quite muscular arms, but I think 30cm would probably have been exactly right. Easy enough to just chop a bit off the length though if there is too much overlap. I had a little bit of irritation from the strap adjuster on the underside of my arm initially, but I adjusted the position of the adjustor so that it now doesn't bother me at all. Mine is just a 3D printed rigid plastic one but I think you can also get silicone ones which may be more comfortable still being more flexible but perhaps don't offer quite so much protection. I have pinged my strap a few time when it has caught in clothing (sports bra straps are Libre's nemesis) but the strap has taken the strike and left the Libre safe. I also like the fact I can see it in the shower because I tend to forget which arm my Libre is on and I use exfoliating gloves because I have dry skin and I have scrubbed a couple of Libre loose when my mind has wandered and I have forgotten that I was supposed to "go carefully on the back of that arm". No problem now as the strap clearly reminds me that I need to be careful with that arm. I have toyed with buying another strap in a more neutral shade for when I am dressed up in the summer but not had much cause to get dressed up much in the past few years and just took the strap off on the one occasion that I did wear a sleeveless dress.
Thank you for the information,really helpful. The ones I’m looking at now are all 50cm and can be cut to size,surprised how much colour choice there is. Think I’ll go for a neutral shade and like you say when wearing something a bit dressy it’s easy to remove.

When I first had my Libre, I caught it a few times when getting dressed and started wearing a strap (I have a very strong dislike of single use items like coverings). Although it didn't annoy my skin, I found it a pain to wear and stopped bothering. I was also concerned about keeping it clean, especially when exercising and always took it off before getting in the shower (the idea of wearing a damp strap on my arm was unappealing). I seem to have now trained myself to be Libre-aware when dressing and haven't lost one for months.
The secret for me is to ensure my skin is dry and moisturiser free when applying and to attach it to a flat part of my arm.

T
When I first had my Libre, I caught it a few times when getting dressed and started wearing a strap (I have a very strong dislike of single use items like coverings). Although it didn't annoy my skin, I found it a pain to wear and stopped bothering. I was also concerned about keeping it clean, especially when exercising and always took it off before getting in the shower (the idea of wearing a damp strap on my arm was unappealing). I seem to have now trained myself to be Libre-aware when dressing and haven't lost one for months.
The secret for me is to ensure my skin is dry and moisturiser free when applying and to attach it to a flat part of my arm.
Thanks Helli,
I’ve been okay with my libre up until this last week and to top it all I’ve just put a replacement on and it says it’s not working so just been on the phone to Abbot,who are very good I must say. I suppose some people like straps and some don’t….. bit like marmite.

Hi,just wanted to let you know that I’ve invested in a watch style material strap. At first it really irritated me just where the adjusters were. I looked again to see what you had done and moved the adjusters nearer to the clock face. Bingo,really pleased,don’t even feel it now. Bought my another one to alternate when washing it.
Judy

Glad you have found a solution. I used to use the patches but after a couple of days they would really itch, I might invest in the strap as the first line of defence against the evil that us ladies know as the bra strap, the best libre flinging device known to man… actually woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back