Donating blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadsac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, still very new to all this and very overwhelmed with everything I need to do. I am a blood donor and was wondering if I can continue donating blood or is this something else that I can’t do?

Hi, still very new to all this and very overwhelmed with everything I need to do. I am a blood donor and was wondering if I can continue donating blood or is this something else that I can’t do?
It says this if you Google though there is some conflicting info.
If you have type 2 diabetes, you can usually donate if you don't need treatment, of if you have been taking diabetes medication that isn't insulin for four weeks or longer. It's important to mention any medication you are taking to staff when you go to give blood.
Other info says if you take insulin you can't donate.

Other info says if you take insulin you can't donate.
That's my understanding. And that it's because of the injections. If that's the case (and they're being consistent) I guess that would apply to some other treatments which involve regular injections.

(I think the rules are different in other countries.)

When I asked the blood donors, I was told of course someone with diabetes can donate blood provided their diabetes is not treated with insulin.

(This annoyed me at the time because my question was whether someone with Type 1 can donate blood and I was told I could provided I didn’t inject insulin. I have subsequently got used to people not understanding the different types of diabetes and the different treatments.)

Diabetes.PNG

They're even more strict about NOT if using insulin these days, I know only too well personally due to something specific that occurred a good few years ago now so won't go into as it's not relevant here.

Can also depend on where the blood's being taken, sometimes. In a permanent facility or a temporary one only open eg in a town hall, community centre etc once every so often.

I’ve been in touch with them and it seems I’m ok to carry on donating as long as I’m not using insulin. I’m trying to sort this without medication which means I am fine to donate at the moment. Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back